Little black bugs infesting my Camellia!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Ginsu, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

I have these tiny aphid-like black bugs over all the flower buds of my Camellia Sinensis (Tea plant). The bugs attack the new growth and flower buds and prevent my flowers from blossoming! They don't eat any foliage instead they just suffocate it. In addition they cause my plant to bleed sap that drips on the leaves below and I am constantly losing more leaves and flowers! I have tried spraying them with a soapy water solution and the bugs didn't mind it at all. I have several Tea plants and I have separated my 3 year old from my seedlings and yet I am finding these bugs on my seedlings too. An identification of the bug or advice to get rid of them would be much appreciated thanks.

Misc 044.jpg Misc 047.jpg

(The white stuff covering the leaf in the first picture is the bugs' shed skin)

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

They do look aphid like from what can be seen from the photos. Did you use an insecticidal soap ? When using insecticidal soap , it seems to work well to rinse it off after about an hour. Could your soapy solution have been too weak ?

3. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

I just used regular hand soap, and it wasn't very concentrated either but I did leave it on the plant for about an hour before I rinsed it with water. As far as other methods of killing the bugs go, I can't do anything that will be using insecticides or toxic chemicals as I will eventually be drinking tea made from these leaves.

4. shahwin

shahwin Member

================================================
    There seems to me You have two problems
    1. Your soil is effected with parasites. Sterlize it
    2. Moisture problem, reduce mosture, needs more lght.
    3. Mix a little Clove Powder in the soil, it wil make the soil immune to pestd
    Kindly keep me informed of the development
    B. Shah
    shahwin at gmail.com

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Aphids are easily removed by hand or with jet sprays of water... if you can use your watering hose this time of year in AZ?

6. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

I bought some Safer's soap and that pretty much killed the things on contact, I have noticed a few more appear but I quickly dispatched them. And yes, I enjoy the luxury of simi-warm winters, yay!

Shahwin, what makes you suggest that my soil has parasites?

7. shahwin

shahwin Member

I have noted your problems, The best to do to have clean soil, free of bacteria
    To Do so, Just peel an onion, cut small pieces, bury 2 inch deep in the soil, away from the plant.

2. Avoid too much moisture, semi shade required

3. Do let me know of the developments

B. Shah

shahwin at gmail.com