Help please!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca Active Member

Please identify this off white plant I got in a Xmas potted arrangement. Will it grow inside or outside, and any care instructions, thanks! Ellis

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2010
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Really skinny variety of Dusty Miller? Wild guess.
    Any other info you can give us, Ellis? Does the plant have an odor to it? Any flowers? It appears to be fuzzy---is it?, etc.
    Now that you've gpt the photos going, could you give us a closer-up one of the plant?

3. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Thanks so much for your offer of help - Im attaching a better photo - it has no odour, no flowers, and a slightly scaly feel. Ill research the suggestion you made - Dusty Miller variety. Thanks, and a Merry Xmas!

Attached Files:

4. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

wow, man. i have no clue! it really doesn't look like dusty miller to me. it looks familiar, though. where have i seen it before... i'll check some books.

5. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi!
    It's a Calocephalus brownii.

6. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Wow- Lila, i'm impressed. We live in Vancouver, Canada, and you are in far away Hungary - where my favourite dixieland/jazz band - BENKO - lives. His recording of Dark Eyes is a classic, followed by Petite Fleur. I play in a few swing type bands here, and use Benko as my reference. Its a small world after all. Thanks again! Ellis

7. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wow, a Benkó (and Calocephalus) fan from Canada! Amazing... :)

8. leaf kotasek

calocephalus brownii, eh? sweet. i've never heard of it and couldn't find it in my library of plant books. good to know!

9. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is native to Australia only.

10. togata57

And it got from Australia all the way to Vancouver! It's a small world.

Is this plant widely used in gift plantings...? Does anyone know?

Your plant looks as if it is thriving, Ellis. I'd advise you to repot it separately fairly soon. (Ditto for its kalanchoe-appearing neighbor.) What say you, Andrey, leaf, and Lila?

11. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

12. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Thank you all for such excellent advise about our calocephalus brownii - its so interesting to hear from so many interested and obviously well informed plant experts. I should amend my earlier post, as on further examination, the leaves are not scaly, but rather soft and silky to the touch, and can be squished gently, as they dont break easily. We got this plant as part of a 10" pot at Xmas, and now wonder what we should do to keep it growing. Can anyone advise what it likes, type of soil, watering frequency, should it be repotted to be alone, is being inside OK - (it goes down to freezing outside at night here in Vancouver this time of year), and any further advise??

13. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

From on old (1966) Sanders Encyclopedia of Gardening (Northern Hemisphere): Soil, ordinary. Position, sunny beds in summer only. Plant May, lift and winter in cool greenhouse in Sept. Propagation: By cuttings inserted in cold frame in August.

14. togata57

From what I read, I gather that that Calocephalus brownii grows on sunny sand dunes of Tasmania and Australia. Full sun, fast drainage, and protection from cold all desirable in environment.

15. leaf kotasek

i may not know anything about calocephalus brownii other than what i've learned from this thread, but i would definitely repot it separately.