burlapping an evergreen

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Rosslyn, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

Can someone tell me the best and easy method to burlap an evergreen to shield it from drying winds and heavy snow in winter? Should it be wrapped from top to bottom in a spiral fashion and using staples to bind the seams?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Wrap in a continuous pattern surrounding the foliage down to the base... then secure the bottom flap with twine....

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can I ask a dumb questions pls.?

How long do they stay wrapped up? and does it effect their colour? That is no photosynthesis.
    Are all evergreen vulnerable to snow etc. I always thought that they were evolved to survive cold etc. Bit like our gums survive fires and drought.

Liz

4. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

Well, I have two evergreens that have been planted for almost three years. There were damages done in the first winter due to heavy snow that weighed down the branches and deformed the trees. One is a 5' cedar and the other is 7' juniper. I would like to maintain its original conical shape. Last year I used nettings but I found it inconvenient and awkward to use. So I want to try burlap and intend to wrap around loosely but securely to shield against the winter elements still allowing air to circulate into the plant. I think it is a common practice.

5. Liz

Ah thankyou it's weight damage rather than cold you wrap for. That is snow cannot lay on branches. Given that we get a tea spoon of snow every 20 years this will not be a problem. Had much more snow in my youth just like we don't get wet springs any more.
    Ta
    Liz

6. ken adrian

ken adrian Member

are you in z5 or 6????

regardless ... wrapping in burlap for the first year or two.. is fine ... since there was root interference.. and the plant may need the little extra care ....

but thereafter .... simple [cheap] jute twine can be used..

it is just a matter of making all the loose floppy branches.. into one compact shape that will allow the snow to shed ... or for them to all work together to hold up the extra weight ....

with twine ... you just make a circle near the bottom .. then go around and up and back down.. sorta like a candycane design ... and tie back to where you started ... pulling a bit to tighten it all up as you go .. but no need to get it all that tight ...

for an otherwise zone appropriate plant.. the burlap is NOT necessary .... i would much rather prefer to see the green than burlap all winter ....

good luck

ken

7. Liz

Ken if it's me you are asking re zones your warmer areas are our alpine regions. I think I am at least an 8 or 9 on yr scales. We never go to freezing anymore even here in the foothills. Heading for high 30's C tomorrow.

Liz

8. ken adrian

ken adrian Member

no liz.. i was replying to the OP.. rosslyn.. in SE ontario ... which i understand to be akin to windsor, toronto ... etc .... all my friends there are 5 or 6 ...

definitely.. NOT Australia... lol ...

ken

9. Rosslyn

Rosslyn Member

Ken, I have decided to wrap my juniper in burlap. I have seen people wrapping it with just one layer. How can it be done? For me, it wasn't an easy task and it ended up well bundled up with more burlap than is necessary. Would that hurt the tree?