Kalanchoe with powdery mildew?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by iamfiction, Dec 13, 2009.

1. iamfiction

iamfiction Member

My friend had given me a kalanchoe about 3 and a half years ago. It's grown a lot since then. This winter however, I've noticed a white sort of dusting on some of the outer leaves, especially where new growth is coming in. When I would rub the dust off, sometimes the leaves were a little dark underneath.

Since noticing this, I've pruned away the areas with the dust, but it just keeps coming back near new growth.

Am I paranoid? Is this just regular dust? A part of the plant when it makes new leaves? Or is it really powdery mildew?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

If it remains on the new growth, do you notice any insect life...such as mealybug?

alcohol swabs may help... and try not to let the soil medium go bone-dry between waterings...

3. iamfiction

iamfiction Member

No. Definitely no mealybugs or other insects.

4. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

From what I can see, I'd say it's the start of mealybugs. Try using some rubbing alcohol (mix w/water-50%) on Q-tip (cotton) swabs (or spray a mix) to clean the white... & the dark stuff off the leaves...paying special attention down in the "cracks" (near the stem-places you can't see). Maybe you pruned off the lil buggers before they could become something recognizable to you (bugs). Check every couple of weeks & repeat rubbing alcohol treatment, till you don't see this stuff anymore.

5. iamfiction

iamfiction Member

Really? You think mealybugs? I always thought those would tend to be a sticky, cottony sort of white that clumped together, not loose dust.

Regardless, I will keep a close eye on the plant and control whatever this dust. Thank you for your help!

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Photo #2 on the two small leaves, hmmm, possibly some mite damage???

7. valley succulents

valley succulents Member

If yo do have powdery mildew there are several ways to get rid of it. The first thing is to correct the environment that the plant is in. Plants usually only get powdery mildew when they are stressed. Some plants are more susceptible to this problem then others. Just moving a plant from a stressful environment can stop any future out breaks. But only a Sulfur based fungicide will kill the mildew that has already started. Safers makes a product called Defender which is really easy to use.

8. Ron BC

Ron BC Member

If it is powdery mildew you can kill it with regular Lysol household spray or mix 1 part milk to 3 parts water and spray it. I use both for all my plants that get mildew, especially my African violets.
    Ron