Plant identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gngmisson, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gngmisson

gngmisson Member

Hi. I bought these plants at a market last Sunday. The old lady told me the small one is a cigar plant because it looks like a cigar burning. The other we think is a Fuchsia but do not know what the name is. Included are pictures to help in identification, Hope someone out there can help thank you.
    Gilbert.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. gngmisson

gngmisson Member

Thanks ,Silver Surfer.For the identification, You have got it right again.We have a lot of small Market plant sellers over here that don't know what there plants are called. I do not know how they grow there plants and don't bother to find out what they are called. I like to know what I am Growing thanks again.
    Gilbert.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hi Gilbert, glad to help.

That is very strange that they grow and sell such lovely strong plants, but cannot tell you the name. Very odd!

Growers who sell at fairs, shows and markets over here, often have a board with a pretty pic, with the name of the plant on, showing what the plants will look like when they are bigger and flowering. Most pots are individually labelled as well. Even a common name would help. Without knowing the name,how can one can check to see what growing conditons the plants need.

One grower display in a different way. The table is full of very young plants, with not a flower to be seen. ( in blocks) Behind each block, is a sample of the full size flowering plant,( not for sale) so you know what your baby will look like, when at its best. All named off course.

P.S. Did you notice that the first 2 links of Phygelius capensis, on wiki, were taken at UBC Botanic Gardens in Vancouver. This really is a wonderful international forum. Good to have you here all the way from Tasmania.

5. gngmisson

gngmisson Member

Hi Silver Surfer.
    Great to here from you. I Didn't notice that the two links of Phygelius capensis were from the UBC botanical Gardens thanks for pointing that out I will try and be a little more observant in future. It seems our market stall holders have a good way to go in presenting there product,I guess your market holders have a lot of years experience on us being a young country as we are. My wife sells plants on a small trolley at the front of our house, When we break the plants up she pots them and they sell pretty well, Mostly in flower and named we don't like to waste the surplus bulbs an other plants because they would end up on the dump otherwise.There not over priced and people like a different plant for there garden. You are right about this being a wonderful forum it answers all our gardening questions, And it's good to talk to people on the other side of the world.
    Gilbert.

6. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Good call Silver surfer.

Gilbert, the Cuphea you show here is grown as a bonsai plant too. There are several interesting cultivars and other Cuphea species - some with flowers that are pink and yellow rather than red and black, and some with flowers that have leafy petals flaring out at the tip of the "cigar".

Phygelius x rectus 'Devil's Tears' is a popular cultivar in California and has a pale yellow throat. It looks quite similar to your photo. There is a Phygelius with pale yellow flowers named Phygelius x rectus 'Moonraker'.

Best of luck with your plant sales!

7. gngmisson

gngmisson Member

Hi SusanDunlap
    Great to here from California. I found some good pictures of other Cuphea flowers on some web sites, It makes a big difference when you know what a plants real name is. The phygelius with the pale yellow flowers was also displayed with the red one, But I didn't go prepared to buy a lot of plants and I ran out of money. The stall holder said she had more at home so I will go back and get the yellow one. You have answered a question though, I would of had to find the name of that one to, So thanks for telling me the name of that one. Always good to here from other people with the same interests From around the world, Have fun in your garden
    Gilbert.