Seed request

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by AlexM, Dec 6, 2009.

1. AlexM

AlexM Member

Greetings,

Newbie here, i would like to say i am thrilled forums like this exist, my problem or shall i say quest for Sequoia seeds began when seven pine trees were cut down in front of my building here in Slovenia.
    I found out that a there have been some Sequoia trees planted 100 years ago, here is a picture of one;
    http://www.destinacije.com/slika_na...lder=Slike-Slovenija-FloraiFauna&cp=25&s=Next

It is Sequoiadendron giganteum (43m) and i would like to know hot to get me some seeds, since Sequoia semprevirens cannot be cultivated here?

2. muriel

muriel Member

Super pictures. Beautiful country. Sorry can't help with seeds. good luck getting what you want.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Really? I wouldn't have guessed that. Good luck with getting seeds. The Sequoias are really impressive trees.

5. AlexM

AlexM Member

Well that is what somebody had said on a botanical forum here, and i was just going to order some.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd agree, the winters are a little too cold* for long-term successful cultivation of Sequoia semprevirens; it would probably grow OK for a few years and then get cut back or killed by a severe winter. Note the -28°C absolute minimum, that'd kill Sequoia. But Sequoiadendron will be OK.

* stats: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT004670

7. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

8. AlexM

AlexM Member

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is easy to buy young plants in Britain, and with free plant transfer within the EU, you should be able to import them easily. Might be fairly expensive, though.

10. AlexM

AlexM Member

I know, and with low germination,about 40%, that is kind of expensive, will wait tho for JLhudson or Datreestore :)