Identification: Help with flower ID

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by kaz25, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Re-Liz,

But Liz, we get an aweful lot of rain here and as rain is expected this next couple of days and no shelter outside I made the decision for now at least to raise it indoors till the spring.

Iknow, I know, I am mollycoddling this plant lolol and maybe just leaving it outdoors to fend for itself would be good but with scaffalding over shadowing the garden we seem to be inundated with black fly. Its as if the workmen disturb flies nest. Its only since then I see so many flies in the border and at least six weeks of workmen yet..

It could of course also be the humid conditions with not much rain that activates the flies.

Lets get it through our autmn and winter and see whats gone on with it in spring HBL.

2. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

in my experience, Aeoniums are very easy from seed and with me grow quite fast. If you are in Europe, Chiltern seeds (see their web site) sell a packet of mixed Aeonium species - worth a try!

I have seen them growing in their native Canary islands. They were always growing in rocky sites, often in quite shady places.

Boa sorte
    Brian

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

OMG - I bet it will be absolutely gorgeous in the Spring, Katalina!!!

: O

You've got me wanting one of those, now. What is the exact name of that specimen of yours again? I am so looking forward to seeing it as it progresses.

You are so much like me, fussing over a new plant like a worried mother! I am the same, but must remind myself to not over-do-it either. I bet your plant is going to be beautiful in the end. When you enjoy something, you care for it, and it is grown with love.

Good luck, Katalina.

: )

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Gotta thanks Brian for his message,

Now I feel much happier I can get the seed also just in case I go wrong with my new baby.

And Brian, are they in Golf Del Sur ( Tenerife) do you know? Thats on the coast of Africa so could be..

Reminds self I need more cards for camera to take pics of flowers on me hols.

HBL, the man even put in a naming stick so..

Black Tree Aeonium arboreum 'Schwarzkopf' Multi Head. Actually thats more than on my discription stick lolol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310162095226

5. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Katalina,

there are more species of Aeonium on Tenerife (12) than anywhere else, and ten of them are endemic (occur nowhere else). I imagine that they are all protected species so you will have to restrain yourself and just take photos !!

Look at this page for lots of interesting info:

http://www.rareplants.de/shop/prodtype.asp?strParents=555&CAT_ID=558

Good luck and have a great holiday!

Brian

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

lol Brian,

My son will already be in the process of adding string to to his luggage to tie my hands behind my back lolol

Seriously thats wonderful news its a case now of buying extra cards for my digi camera and phone. I want lots n lots of photies.

What you can do is buy seed of any plant in the Tenerife airport. I brought back orange plants from a man at the crazy golf who said they would not like England. You should have seen how they spread all round the crazy golf area. He did say sure, come back the day you fly home and I will give you some. They are just doing their spreading bit lol in my border and have taken very well.

When we played crazy golf my son said shush listen as a plane went by. After the plane passes there is this weird russling of the palms made this brilliant sound from the draught of the planes.

Fantastic place Brian and somewhere I want to go and live for good one day. Its so clean.

Crazy golf plant which I brought home to snow in january

Attached Files:

7. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

8. kaz25

kaz25 Member

Many thanks for your help
    Regards
    Kaz

9. SusanDunlap

A. arboreum will have brown tipped leaves when exposed to sufficient sunlight. The same plant can produce a green rosette on the shaded side of the plant.

The apical detail is distinct between the cvs.

The apical new growth of A. arboreum will be green (the leaf tip of new growth on rosettes that are exposed to sun will be brown). The mature leaves of the same rosette will be brown.

The apical new growth of A. arboreum cvs are the vegetative feature what makes them distinct. Some are also smaller plants at maturity.

So, Kaz, if you seek the "all brown" varieties, purchase a cv, if you have good sunlight, the species is fine.

These links illustrate the distinctions between 'Atropurpureum', 'Schwarzkopf', and A. arboreum:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...:official&sa=N&um=1&ei=7wccS4HxFZDStQPo08j8BA

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...:official&sa=N&um=1&ei=7wccS4HxFZDStQPo08j8BA

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...:official&sa=X&um=1&ei=gggcS9vyDJXitAPhhMXQBQ

10. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

It died on me..sob!

It just came away in my hand seperated from the root. I will buy another...after asking how to care for such a plant.

I made the fatal mistake thinking it would die without water when in fact I see its 'drought tolerant'...bah..everytime it rained I put it out.

Thanks Sue for the links!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. SusanDunlap

You are welcome.

12. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Member

What a magnificent plant! I love the flowers : )