What is this mexican flower?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pablofrank, Nov 28, 2009.

1. pablofrank

pablofrank Member

My wife sent me this picture of this south-western mexican flower from the chamela region and I would like to find out what it is.
    Does anyone recognize it?

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hibiscus sabdariffa

3. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Good call Lila. Thanks for posting the plant pablofrank - a very interesting flower. Do either of you know if it can be grown as an annual outside zone 10?

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i would think it would do ok as an annual i have grown it from seed. wikipedia says 6 months to mature but i have had it flower sooner i live in zone 10 or 10b depends on zone map so in cooler climates you might have to start the seeds indoors a month or so before the last frost date. i never made tea with it. we have a women in the rare fruit council that used to bring roselle tea from time to time and it is very good the way she made it. there is a relative red sheild hibiscus its one of the false roselle but have made tea with its leaves with a bit of chocolate mint the leaves would probably be good in a salad eaten raw they taste sort of like cranberry the roselle leaves are said to be used in foods i have tried eating one raw and to me it does not taste good raw