Mimosa trees and getting a cutting or seeds

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by justin1234, Mar 11, 2009.

1. justin1234

justin1234 Member

Hi I am trying to get a Mimosa Tree (Borealis) but cannot seem to find anyone who has this tree in Canada. Does anyone know how I can obtain a cutting or seeds so I can grow one in my yard?house

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Haven't seen that name being used before. What about var. rosea or 'Ernest H. Wilson'?

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmmm!!!! Common names.... to me mimosa is Acacia dealbata. See....

http://images.google.com/images?nds...m=1&sa=3&q=acacia+dealbata&btnG=Search+images

I had not realised that Albizia, had the other name of mimosa tree. I only knew it by the common name of silk tree. See...

http://images.google.com/images?q=a...1I7SUNA_en-GB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

There is also an Acacia microbotrya borealis. See.....

http://www.google.com/search?q=Acac...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB

Perhaps you can help Justin... which one did you mean?

5. justin1234

justin1234 Member

I like those trees also but i can't fine anyone who has them in Toronto Canada. I want someone to send me a cutting or seedling but the people I contacted don't ship to toronto.

6. justin1234

justin1234 Member

Can anyone send me a cutting Toronto Ontario Canada. Just wrap it in a lot of paper towels and plastic bag. Put in a box and say it is jewelery, clothing anything so I can get one.

7. Liz

8. Liz

9. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Justin, I believe Toronto is zone 6, is that correct? Even though you are just one zone colder than what the plant is listed for, I believe that one zone will make a lot of difference with this plant.

I live in southeast Tennessee, U.S. and mimosa trees grow wild all over the place, my wife calls them "weed trees" because they are so prolific. However, I live on the edge of their range. You go much further north of here and you just don't see them.

What I'm getting at is that Toronto's lows, may be only 10 degrees or so lower than Chattanooga's, but they stay that way for a longer period. I just don't believe your mimosa will make it through the winter.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want someone to mail a cutting and lable it as something like jewelry? Are there customs regulations that would prohibit mailing this plant from the states? Perhaps that is why you can't get it from a commercial grower in the states?

10. carolina 13

carolina 13 Member

I have hundreds of Mimosa seeds that are very easy to grow. all the mimosa trees
    in my yard, i started by a seed. they come up very easy, and within just 4 years, are
    well over 12 ft. tall.
    if anyone would like some, I will be happy to swap some for whatever you have.

thanks,carolina

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  11. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Carolina, yes, mimosa is very easy to grow. Too easy. It's listed as an invasive species and I'd say that's why the o.p. couldn't get seeds in Toronto.

Mimosa's ability to grow in many soil types very quickly results in the tree taking over fringe areas of forests and drowning out the native fauna. I have to pull seedlings every year on the edge of my property to try and keep the population down.

12. dabeefsdad

dabeefsdad Member

We have these trees growing on our property in Windsor Ontario. We have been here for 12 years now and the trees grow without any problems. Only one was lost when it split in two during an ice storm. We have lots of seeds. We would consider selling seeds but are not sure how to go about it. I am retired disabled and the money sure would help us. Thanks Stephen

13. Vorguy

Vorguy Member

dabeefsdad, I have been trying to get seeds or a clipping in London Ontario, A neighbour has one on his lawn doing wonderfully, many flowers and 20ft tall. However, it did not seed last year and this year is not looking good either. I'd love to get my hands on some seeds. I love the tree!