Moth Orchid flowers are dying as they are born

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Pamela Glyn, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Pamela Glyn

Pamela Glyn Member

Hello, I was given a beautiful moth orchid two years ago and last year after blooming I cut it back and it grew beautiful new flowers last December. This year I did the same. However although the buds have come out they have died shortly afterwards. Instead of flowers though it has sent out two shoots in place of the two of the flowers. Is this normal behaviour for a moth orchid? I have not changed its position or watering habits. Can anybody tell me what is happening?
    Thank you
    Pamela Glyn

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your Phal. There are many factors that can cause this. Is the plant indoors? Has there been any change in the humidity? Any change in the temperature? You say you haven't changed the position or watering habits. When was the last time you re-potted it? The media could be degrading, and if it stays too wet between waterings, the roots wil rot, and cause stress for the plant. Have there been any drafts of fumes of any kind in the area? Sometimes ripening fruit in close proximity can cause bud blast. You say the spike has produced two shoots in the place of the two dead flowers. Could you post a picture of this? This could be either keikis or branches, but normally, once a bud has formed from a node on the spike, nothing else will form at that spot. Possibly a keiki, but not a branch. A picture would be helpful. In general, stress causes bud blast, so check all factors, and see what you come up with.

3. Pamela Glyn

Pamela Glyn Member

Hello Kevind76,
    Thank you for your response. I have now taken photos as suggested and will attach them. I have never repotted the orchid and periodically mix an orchid food which I add to the water now and again. There is one thought though and that is that we put in a heat pump in the lounge area a year ago and it is possible that this is drying the air and possibly heating it more than before.

Attached Files:

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks for the photos. A couple of comments. First, it appears, at least for the moment, that your plant is healthy - it is producing two new branches on the spike, which will both flower. Second, I would suggest increasing the humidity around the plant. Do you mist it at all? I would try that, and put a saucer of water with pebbles in it, under the pot so the plant can sit on the water, not in it (very important). Third, I would say, repot it. It would be best not to do it now, as it is in spike, but as soon as it is finished, repot it. Alternatively, if you stick you finger in the mix, all the way to the bottom, and it is very wet, and the medium has broken down, then it would be best to repot now to save the plant. Last, have the leaves always looked like that? I'm afraid you could have a big problem. I'll have to look it up, as I can't remember right now, but it looks like you have a virus that affects Phals. and can eventually doom them. The new leaves come out nice, but as they mature, they get these ugly marks on them. No cure.

So, I would say, increase the humidity and look at repotting. I'll get back to you on the leaf issue.

5. Pamela Glyn

Pamela Glyn Member

Thank you again for your response Kevind76. I was worried about the leaves and thought that perhaps because the orchid stands in the kitchen with a lot of glass around it might have been caused by heat at certain times of the day acting like a hothouse, so I have been drawing the curtains around it to try to protect it. I thought the excessive light could be a problem if it was normall a forest plant. I shall get an atomiser and spray around the plant and shall also stand it on stones on water as you suggest. Should I repot whilst the orchid is in flower or would it be best to wait until the summer months are over as we are just beginning the warmer time of year here in NZ?
    Pamela

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

It looks to me like you have a virus. Very bad. If you want to try to keep it, keep it away from all your other plants, and do not use any tools that you are using on this plant (pruners, etc) on any other plant without sterilizing them first. The plant may survive for quite a while, and bloom well, but you'll never get good leaves. I don't know what causes it, and I don't know of a cure. Sorry about that. To make you feel better, you are not the only one!

7. Pamela Glyn

Pamela Glyn Member

Thank you again for your asssistance but sad about my plant - I did the stone thing around the base and bought an atomiser this morning so will see if I can at least coax it back into blooming.
    I appreciate all your help.
    Pamela

8. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I am concerned about those marks on the leaves as well. They could be viral (they will appear on the new leaves as well) but they could also be 'scorch marks' if the plant received full midday sun (especially without any breeze the surface of the leaf overheats). Many Phals from mass production greenhouses are infected with viruses but many plants are destroyed unnecessarily out of fear. Good luck.

Shaun

9. Pamela Glyn

Pamela Glyn Member

Thank you too arcticshaun I will continue to try to nurture her and hopefully the damaged leaves will prove to be heat induced rather than viral. Maybe she will still flower after all. If not at least we will have tried.
    Best Regards and thanks to both you and Kevind75 for your advice.
    Pamela

10. Pamela Glyn

Pamela Glyn Member

Dear Kevind76 and Arcticshaun,
    In September you both offered me advice on nurturing my Moth Orchid which was dying. I have now followed all the advice given. I placed the plant on rocks and water, sprayed her leaves a couple of times a day and cut off the dead shoot. Two new shoots took its place and yesterday the first flower opened most beautifully. I have taken a photograph and will attach before and after pictures to show you.
    Thank you both - kind regards and have a Happy Christmas. My orchid will be fully blooming by then!
    Pamela

Attached Files: