Identification: What do you see here?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Steve G, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Steve G

Steve G Member

A couple of nice groupings, I'm not totally sure of what is here.

Thanks for any ideas.

I am thinking the first image has Morganella subincarnata, exidia recisa and Nectria cinnabarina. Or is what I'm thinking of N. cinnabarina actually Lycogala epidendrum?
    The second I'm not at all sure except I think also N. cinnabarina or L. epidendrum. Could the large ones be immature M. subincarnata and the small one's even more immature or possibly L. epidendrum? I have no measurements and this is from several months ago, but as you can see from the coral spot/Wolf's Milk, they are all small.

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I think the purple jelly may be Ascocoryne sarcoides... http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Ascocoryne_sarcoides.html

2nd image...the tiny tiny ones are another kind of slime mold..possibly the Nectria cinnabarina although I don't think BOTH of the images have the same slime. This is one that would probably need the microscope to confirn. (there are several species of slime that have the look of these)........the pink and the brown larger balls are both Wolf's Milk. When the pink balls mature to sporing stage...they turn the brown color and you can even pop them open and get a pinkish powder as the spore matures to a darker brown.
    Not sure if any of this helped what you were asking?

Absolutely love the first image. Definately a 'happy family' of life.

3. Steve G

Steve G Member

Thanks, C.Wick. I think you are right about the Ascocoryne sarcoides. Maybe I should get myself a microscope. :-)
    And, yes it has helped as I wasn't sure about the Wolf's Milk, but was starting to think it was L. epidendrum and not N. cinnabarina.

I was pretty excited when I found the log that these were taken from and especially the grouping in number one. I'm glad you like it. Thanks.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving Day. It rained off and on here and the same for today. But we are still having 50 degree days, so maybe some foraging is in the offing.

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Early winter and all through the spring are my main favorite times of the year to find fungi, mushrooms, and slimes.
    Keep an eye on this log from now on...you may be amazed at the variety of things that appear on it.
    One log in my area I love has at least 7 kinds of slime...at least 5 species of stemmed mushrooms, 3 Crepidotus species, puffballs, corals......much more I'm sure I've yet to record.....and it's only about 10 feet in length.
    Enjoy!

5. Steve G

Steve G Member

Thanks, C.Wick.

I'll try to visit it when I can, but it's in a pretty difficult location once the weather gets bad. Plus it will soon be under snow. But I know what you mean as I keep an eye on other stumps and logs nearer at hand. None have been this prolific though.