HELP! Red Ants in the Garden...

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by sungodess134, Nov 24, 2009.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

I have become infested with red ants in my garden. Red ants are nothing uncommon here in South Fla. but they have struck in one of my garden beds. I have bush beans, corn, and lettuce planted there. The corn I am pretty sure is done for, they are in all the stalks, and where the corn cobs were growing, they are now nesting. My beans and lettuce are not infected as of yet. What can I do? or, Do I need to just rip up everything, kill the ants, and start again before it's too late for planting?
    If the suggestion is kill the ants, is there any way other than pesticides that you can think of?
    Thanks so much for the help.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

are they fire ants or regular ants?

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

You may try ant drops,(see your local pesticide caregiver) from your local hardware store, this will cause the ants to rot from the inside and perish, as a result from carrying the ant food to the queen.

4. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

they are fire ants

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

there is specific stuff for fire ants (i don't think the usual treatments affect them). my dad is also in st lucie and treated a couple of nests last year and he hasn't mentioned them since, so, whatever he bought must have worked. i'll ask him what the product was/where he got it and let you know.