pond apple

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by mikeyinfla, Sep 1, 2007.

1. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i just tried my first pond apple (Annona glabra) and it did smell really good but the most common description of the taste seems to hold true it tastes like cantelope that has been soaked in soapy water for a few days. not very pleasant. i may try some breeding with other annonas to try to get a better fruit but for now i will use the plant a seed source for rootstock. it will make a good rootstock for my area durring rainy season and my plant was grown in fairly dry conditions until last year i keep it allot weter around it and it has tripled in size and has had three fruit the one i tried one still on it and one that fell off way to early from a storm the seeds where to small on the fruit that fell or i would have planted them. i have heard of a few plants that where very pleasing taste wise but no one kept seeds or marked where the plant was so they could go back it was a wild plant in the everglades. so maybe someday there will be a good variety that is edible and tastes good.my atemoyas and red sugar apples are the best annonas i grow so far that will produce fruit anyways i do have a few seedling cherimoyas. and the soursops have not flowered for me. i do have a soursop relative not real sure what it actually is it looks just like a soursop but the bloom is about the size of a ping pong ball or maybe a hair larger may be some sort of hybrid with the mountin soursop it is allot more cold tolerant. it did not set any fruit this year but it was the first year it bloomed and the blooms where scatered when they opened.hopefully next year i will be able to hand pollinate it to get fruit.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What sort of timeline is required for breeding these? And that certainly doesn't sound like a pleasant taste...

3. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

most annonas produce in 3 to 5 years from seed will more than likely use most of the seeds as rootstock. i may see if it will cross breed with any of the other annonas. would be nice to have a good tasting annona that was water tolerant.

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

5. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i know this is an old tread but figured i would do an update i have had no luck at all with trying to get any crossing done the pond apple seems to already have fruit on it when the other annonas start to flower so the timing is way off from trying to hybridize them i had asked a few rare fruit people about somehow saving pollen but most annonas the pollen is really short lived like at most 48 hours thats stretching it so cannot keep it alive long enough to get to cross it with anything. i will probably end up cutting the plant down. there is so far only a few annonas that will graft to it and do well. i did actually find a fruiting pondapple that the fruit is actually alot more palatable still not sure its worth getting seeds from and growing out. i am in the rare fruit council and the pond apple is right near a spot where we planted some fruit trees a small botanical park in bradenton let us use an area for planting fruit trees for a display of the types of fruit that can be grown in the area we usually have somone from our club there to do tours of the small plot to explain some of the trees when Palma sola Botanical Park has sales and functions.

6. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Thanks for the update!