: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I will have many seeds for Fire Cracker hot pepper soon (1st pic), as well as cuttings in Spring from my "Beautyberry" Calicarpa shrub (2nd pic)...

: )

Great that Daniel says it's ok we can chat still, so how come everybody's so quiet?

: o

Attached Files:

2. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Can't believe you have all of these indoors! Where do you sleep? In cage with Henry?? I love your Beautyberry. I've got an Ampelopsis previpedunculata which has survived 2 winters in a pot outside while I figure out how to build a metal trellis ["needs strong support - will pull down fences!"]; it blooms, but does not berry.

3. robv187

robv187 Member

Good things we can talk still lol, did any of my seeds pop yet hbl? Not sure how long its been :P

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Busy busy busy busy...

5. The Hollyberry Lady

You will be the absolute 1st to know, Rob, when they do, but sorry to say nothing yet.

: (

2Annebrow - although we are surrounded by greenery, Henry and I can actually move around, believe it or not! That Beautyberry shrub came from Prince Edward Island in the mail!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    If I ever get the A. brevipedunculata to fruit, would you swap for beautyberry seed? Or can you get seeds from it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  7. robv187

robv187 Member

No problem at all hbl, thanks for the update. Maybe in a month :) I'm excited...especially for that magnolia tree.

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Speaking of the magnolia tree seeds, Rob, they come out of the fridge soon too, from their cold-stratification period. I am so hoping they will sprout. You know I am doing my best for you. Let's see...

P.S. Also too, I didn't forget about mailing ya a few more seeds - please don't think I did. Just been busy, but will get some together for ya soon.

Claudia, you still gotta pm me, with your address...

9. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Busy busy here too, cleaned out the last of my gardens yeturday and harvested some black eyed susan seeds.
    Now i need to sort through everything

10. robv187

robv187 Member

that sounds great hbl, really excited, i'd love to plant a magnolia tree in my backyard next spring :)

About the seeds, it's really nice that you want to send me some in the first place, thanks again, just remember that the seeds were a gift and i was happy giving you and penny them. I've been really busy too lately. School is hectic, lots of tests and homework lol.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Well yes, I know I am not obligated Rob, but I do like to share my seeds with others - especially new gardeners who don't have many. It is my pleasure to share with you Rob, so think nothing of it.

Yes, 2annbrow, I would be willing to do a swap with you. That Beautyberry shrub is something else, and I am willing to share it. I didn't even consider seeds!

Maybe, there's some in the berries - I will check. Wouldn't this be cool?!!! Then I could share seeds too. Thank you for giving me the idea.

I also recently was able to collect some viable seed from some of my lillies! I don't know what color they will turn out to be, because it just depends on which two varieties the bees pollinated together. I had some wonderful colors to begin with, so I am certain they will be lovely no matter what. I am going to sow them into Winter.

Well, it is nice to see people chatting again. I missed you guys. I know we are all busy, but it's nice to find out what you guys have been up to.

The sun is finally shining here today, after nearly 10 days with none! I am going for a bike ride later - something I do nearly everyday. Great cardio-vascular exercise. Gotta bury some more bulbs this week too.

Well, I bet everyone's got lots of seeds for trade. I am going to do some more trading after Christmas, when I place my seed orders in Dec/Jan.

Have a great day, everyone.

12. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Good idea Sherry to check to see if there are seeds, if so, those would be a huge hit!!

Thats the fun part, is somtimes not knowing what color somthing will be.

13. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

I've started to collect some seeds just recently to start trading.
    I have Goji seeds, Thai Pepper seeds, and Tomatillo seeds for now, and will be collecting more as they come around.
    Let me know if your interested in any, and I will send some to you.

Keagan

14. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Good start Keagan.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, it is a good start. What seeds are you particularily interested in acquiring, Keagan?

16. robv187

robv187 Member

hi everyone, winter break in 3 weeks so hopefully i can be on a lot more. Any news hbl or penny? Hope your all looking forward to christmas

17. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

Thanks,
    I actually have no idea what I'm looking for. I've just been interested in finding things that are exotic, and that I don't already have. I live in calgary so I like to grow plants indoors, which normally wouldn't survive here.

Im thinking I would really like to start a banana plant or some bamboo from seed.

18. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

I now have a few more seeds; Cherry tomato, Bird's eye chili, banana and jalapeno pepper, Goji, tomatillo, morning glory, and some sunflower seeds all the way from pei lol.

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

You have some great seeds so far keagan, you will really like the Birds Eye Chili.

Hi Rob, good to see you, how are you seeds coming along?

20. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hey Sherry, how are your tomato trees coming?

21. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Hey yall! Any one know how to germinate a walnut?

22. lorax

Do you have the whole fruit, or just the nut? I've never tried it with just a nut, but with the whole fruit, I generally just bury the fruit in loamy soil, water it occasionally, and eventually a tree sprouts (about 5-6 months later).

23. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well there's a hard shell around it which looks like the remnants of a dried fruit, and I was told to get to the actual nut I'd have to break off the shell, and then there'd be the traditional-looking walnut shell to get through as well. Would you happen to know the optimum temperature outside your constant climate or the duration it usually takes to sprout? And does it need loamy soil? I'm not so sure m closest bag of soil to loam is loam at all...

Thanks for the help, lorax - enjoy your holidays!

24. lorax

Walnuts here seem to grow best in places with minimum temps of at least 10 C, if not 15 C, and highs around 20-25 C. However, we're likely talking about different species of Walnut, because I doubt you've got a fruit from J. neotropica - it's more likely to be J. nigra in your area.

You're bang on about how to get to the nut, and if you want to hurry things along I'd definitely remove the outer husk (ie get to the thing that actually resembles a classic walnut). But if you do this, WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. The juices of the fruit are a potent dye, and will stain anything they come into contact with a permanent deep walnut brown or even black. You're probably fine planting into whatever soil you've got - I'm just observing that where these trees grow naturally is generally fairly rich soil (at least for J. neotropica in Ecuador).

25. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

I just got lavender nevermind... Its everywhere.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010