Wildflowers: Plant Identification Contest

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jdavidingram, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Win a 2010 West Coast Wildflower Calendar by correcting identifying the "mystery" wildflower at this web page: West Coast Wildflower Calendar Contest. Figure that this should be fairly easy for regular users of this forum!

Cheers and good luck,

Dave Ingram

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(a note for others -- please don't report this post as an advert, I've looked at it and it's okay by me)

Also, please don't post your responses here -- instead, follow Dave's instructions and send him an email.

3. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Thanks Daniel - I should have thought to check with the site admin before posting this. I hadn't thought that it would be construed as advertising but in retrospect I can see how it could be. Rest assured there are no strings attached!

I've had two replies so far, both in the right genus but incorrect on the species. This is not a common roadside flower (though it does resemble it) but required a little more effort to photograph. The flower was photographed at Cream Lake in Strathcona Provincial Park (sub-alpine).

The plant can be found in Pojar and MacKinnon but the photo shows an unusual colour so don't let that throw you off.

Too many hints?

Cheers,

Dave

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's the white phase of the plants around it. Same species, different color.

I think if you check your June rose picture you will find it depicts Rosa gymnocarpa rather than R. nutkana.

5. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Oops - Ron you're absolutely right on the R. gymnocarpa. With two kids under three, half the time I'm running on only a couple of hours of sleep and completely zoned that one. I'll update that page (and the calendar:). How fortunate that I posted this link in this category of the forum!

Thanks,

Dave

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Just sent in my entry.

What format is the calendar? SMTWTFS (good!) or MTWTFSS (bad!!)?

7. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Hello Michael - the format is SMTWTFS, and your entry is correct so your name is going into the draw.

All the best!

Dave

8. Michael F

Thanks!

9. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Winner!

Well folks, I've selected a name using random.org and the winner of the wildflower contest is:

Harri Harmaja of Finland!

The mystery flower is a white variant of Chamerion (Epilobium) latifolium, or River Beauty or Broad-leaved Willowherb. The photograph was taken at Cream Lake in Strathcona Provincial Park on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Thanks to all those who entered!

Cheers,

Dave

10. Michael F

Out of curiosity, how many entries, and how many correct entries?

11. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

I had only 12 correct answers and just put those into the draw - so the odds were pretty good. I think that for the non-botany enthusiast the challenge might have been too difficult even with the clues so kudos to those who got the ID correct. Or maybe people would have been more interested if the prize was something like a plant book and didn't enter? Anyhow, thanks to those who participated!

Cheers,

Dave