Identification: I need the name and care instructions for this plant PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Delaney, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Delaney

Delaney Member

I bought a succulent and it did not have the name or care instructions. The leaves are starting to get soft and a few of them have fallen off. I have attached a picture and would appreciate any help!!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it could be an echevaria or a graptopetalum or a cross.

doesn't need much watering - does need it a bit more frequently than a jade plant though. they can be tricky - they don't like to be soggy, so the soil needs to be very well-draining. doesn't like to be chilly - so definitely needs to be inside for winter. and likes full sun - so, find the sunniest window (west facing would be best) that you can to put it in.

3. Delaney

Delaney Member

Thanks that helps a lot. I was wondering if anyone knew why the leaves have turned soft and are falling off?

4. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

Possibly to much water.

5. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

Personally, at this time of the year, I would cut watering back to every other week at most, and just a bit. If you have even more guts go once a month until March. Keep near a sunny window. The plant can handle as little water as you are willing.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, too much moisture can cause the leaves to go soft. also the main stem can go soft/rot as well if the soil is kept too moist.

agree with infrequent watering especially in winter. i water mine every 3-4 weeks.