acer palmatum mikatsuki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Louisw, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Louisw

Louisw Member

need infor on this cultivar

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

3. David81

David81 Member

4. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Re: acer palmatum 'Mikazuki'

I received a few scions of this one last winter and I must say I was extremely pleased with the appearance of the young grafts. In my limited observations, 'Mikazuki' seems similar to 'Ariadne' in leaf and reticulation, but not as shy (Ariadne tends to need just the right amount of light/shade to really show out, where all of my 'Mikazuki' plants seemed to all be showy except when grown in complete shade). The color combination is a bit different too, with 'Mikazuki' being a bit more of a brick red-purple-pink color, not a light pale pink like 'Ariadne'. Anyway, the variegation is really dramatic on 'Mikazuki' and I think it will be a real winner.... I recall seeing leaves that went from dark brick red at the edges with paler pink in the middle of the leaf and dark purple veins. As with all the reticulated ones, I'm guessing the leaf colors vary significantly from leaf to leaf, tree to tree, week to week, year to year (I'm guessing here as I've only seen one year). Hope this helps. A photo is attached below.

Brian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Quick followup, the photo on my reply I believe was taken later in the summer, once the leaves had darkened up. As I recall, the variegation was more vivid and more of a pink color in the spring and early summer (as seen on the 5 photos on the Bucholz Nursery link in the previous post by others above) but I didn't happen to take any photos of my plants during that time.

Brian