Beautiful Vancouver bamboo and grass to I.D.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bijjy, Nov 15, 2009.

1. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Hi All.

When I went to the Powell Street Festival at Woodland Park in Vancouver this year, I happened to walk past a gorgeous house and yard. I am wondering what the huge species of bamboo is that screens the house, and also what the two types of ornamental grass and maroon shrubs in the front are.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Sorry the pics are kind of blurry.. they are from 'Google Street View.'

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The grass is Helictotrichon, the bamboo is impossible to name with certainty from these pictures. It will be a Phyllostachys sp., perhaps P. vivax.

3. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Perfect! Thanks, Ron. Another question: I have heard that the only species that is truly clumping is "Fargesia" and that all other types do spread. It does sound like Phyllostachys is a runner.

Do you think the Phyllostachys in the above photos are somehow contained in underground pots or by other types of barriers? And what is the best way to plant Phyllostachys on a front lawn like that without worrying it may spread or rip up the foundation?

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

There are other clumping types besides Fargesia; and yes, phyllostachys are all runners, though to varying degrees. Easy to contain with rhizome barrier, available from most specialty bamboo retailers, of which there are several in the Lower Mainland/Valley. This is the best option for containment, and is most likely the method used in the photo.

5. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Thank you, woodschmoe. That sounds easy!