New Japanese Maple losing all its leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Japanese Maple Newby, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Japanese Maple Newby

Japanese Maple Newby Member

I recently purchased a Japanese Maple ('Sekka Yatsubusa'). Shortly after I brought it home it started to shed its leaves. I decided to transplant it into a larger pot (11 gal) and move it indoors because I thought it would be a little less shocking than the ground and a fast approaching winter. But it is looking worse than ever. I know it can be normal for a maple to lose its leaves at this time of year but it seems excessive especially since we've had such great weather.

Is there anything I can do?
    Perhaps a fertilizer of some sort?

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Its actually quite normal for a maple to lose its leaves this time of year no matter what kind of care it is recieving. The tree is on its own time-table for going dormant and there is little you or I can do to delay that. Best to let it do what it wants...

3. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

i would have to agree with k4,our sango kuku has completly lost all leaves now as well as our waterfall,its normal

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

When you say "indoors" I hope you don't mean in your house. While losing leaves is entirely normal for a maple at this time of year, being moved to a warm environment is not and will result in the eventual death of the maple if not corrected. People in zone 5 and 6 often overwinter their container grown maples in places such as unheated garages if you think it is going to be too cold to move your plant outside.