sangu kuku fall colors

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mylesahead, Nov 14, 2009.

1. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

hi all here are a few pics of our tree,this is the first complete year in the ground and the tree seems to be doing fine, the fall colors were great

Attached Files:

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Your SK looks wonderful! I'm afraid mine is going to get the ax this year. Not sure it really was a real SK, based on other pictures I've seen. It was probably a seedling. Anyway, the bark is so dieseased and deformed that its an eye-sore now. Kinda sad..

3. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

sorry to hear about your tree,we bought ours 1 year ago for 50.00,it was slightly damaged but as you see has done fine.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi K4, If it has 25-50cm of healthy trunk from the ground level up, maybe new growth would sprout from there if you're going to cut it. Have seen some that are pruned about a 1m. above ground level regularly and they put out vigorous new growth each year. They seem to look fine kind of trained as a rounded shrub.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Adrian Bloom recommended regular hard pruning of this in a book. But when mine got to the point where too much non-red bark was present and I cut it it did not bounce back quickly at all. After some years it is still a stump with small whippy branches coming out the top. It was still comparatively young and small at time of being whacked, was cut off at about 2' - a sort of pollard. I would not have expected it to come back well from being cut to near the ground, but as it has turned out I have gotten a rather similar result.