Premature sprouting garlic?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by suz12, Nov 12, 2009.

1. suz12

suz12 Member

A quick question regarding when garlic should sprout.

Last year was my first year planting garlic, and I got 30 or so nice sized bulbs this summer. From what I remember, they only started to sprout early spring. I planted some again this October - I believe it was around Thanksgiving weekend. Only thing is that they have all started to sprout already, with some even being 3-4 inches tall already.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is my harvest next year doomed?

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Mine sprouts some years in Zone 5. I usually have enough snow cover and it does no harm. Freezing and thawing with ice formation probably is of some concern. You probably have to live with it his year, but next year plant much later in the season.

I plant about mid October in Zone 5.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. suz12

suz12 Member

Thanks for the response. Guess I'll mulch heavily and wait and see.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

In the Vancouver area garlic is supposed to sprout in the fall if planted then; that's perfectly normal and desirable. You want the new plants to develop a deep root system to prevent frost-heaving during the winter. Garlic easily withstands winter temperatures in coastal areas.

5. suz12

suz12 Member

I guess that goes to show that I need to start taking better gardening notes - I would have sworn that it waited until spring to sprout last year.

That's so good to hear - I can now stop looking sadly and desperately out the window at the bright green garlic leaves.

Thanks so much for replying!