Papaya tree from seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gurucubano, Nov 11, 2009.

1. gurucubano

gurucubano Active Member

Hello,
    I will start a new (indoor) project: a Papaya tree froms seeds. Searching the Internet with Don Google I found this documentation: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/papaya.html which says about the treatment of the seeds:

"... Propagation: Papayas are normally propagated by seed. To start a plant, extract the seeds from ripe papayas and wash them to remove the gelatinous covering. They are then dried, dusted with a fungicide and planted as soon as possible (the seeds loose their viability rapidly in storage). Plant the seeds in warm (80° F), sterile potting mix. Seeds should be planted in sterile soil as young papaya seedlings have a high mortality rate from damping off. Potting soil can be sterilized by mixing 50-50 with vermiculite and placing in an oven at 200° F for one hour. Under ideal conditions the seeds may germinate in about two weeks, but may take three to five weeks. Gibberellic acid can be used to speed up germination in some seasons. Seedlings usually begin flowering 9 - 12 months after they germinate...."

Any other usefull hint, especially for in-door treatment.
    I don't even know if the plant they sell here in Germany are ripe enough, but I will go to Cuba in a few weeks and I'm sure that I can find ripe seeds there.

Thanks

Matthias

2. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hola Matthias.

I have grown many Papaya from seed and now they grow wild here in my garden every year in the UK but they havent ever progressed into a tree more of a bush. They are very easy to propogate just scoup out the seeds into some potting compost really and wait. Once they grow and flower they will spray little seeds everywhere and keep on propogating themselves.

Natan

3. gurucubano

gurucubano Active Member

Hola Nath,

In your garden in UK? But they don't resist below 32F / 0C... how is this possible or don't you face 32F in winter?

Thx

matthias

4. Nath

Nath Active Member

The tree will die in the cold but the seeds they spread remain dormant in winter and then spring into life in spring. They grow everywhere. This has happened to me in the last 2 years now.

I choose the biggest and straightest trees that havent bushed out too much and bring those inside for the winter.

Nath

5. gurucubano

gurucubano Active Member

Hola Nath,

Por favor, ¿puedes adjuntar una foto de tu plantación y de uno de los arbolitos? Gacias

Matt