Apple tree question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by questioningU, Nov 6, 2009.

1. questioningU

questioningU Member

I bought a Gala apple tree this spring. It had only two apples on it that got distroyed before they were ripe. OK, so in Oct it got some blooms on it which are now tiny apples, and now in Nov it has several more blooms on it. Is this normal?

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

I guess it was a container-raised tree. The odd flowering probably has to do with how it was overwintered. As the days shorten and the temps drop, the tree should start getting ready for winter -- leaves turning yellow and dropping, along with unseen processes like storing food in its roots. I would suggest "helping" it perceive that it is time to go dormant by partially defoliating it, and definitely removing any flowers and fruit. Remove 75% of the leaves on the lower half of the tree. What size apples were on the tree when you bought it, and what month was it?

3. questioningU

questioningU Member

Hi Biggam, thanks for your answer. I bought this tree in the spring. I can't remember the month. It only had about three branches on it and two apples about the size of a quarter to fifty cent piece. My peach tree is already yellowed out, but this Gala still acts like it's spring. Almost two weeks ago we had freezing temps for a few days and snow on the nearby mountain. Probably would have snowed here too if it had rained. Just got another new bloom today.