Broadleaf Maple problem ID

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ssi gardener, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ssi gardener

ssi gardener Active Member

I hope somebody can tell me what these blotches on the leaves are. A fungus--or another blister mite infestation of some sort? I'd hate to see our native maples wiped out. Thanks for any help. Lynetta

Attached Files:

2. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

My first guess would be Phyllosticta Leaf Spot. Others will also have ideas - if it is though damage is normally minimal and fungicides are rarely necessary.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Getting an increasing number of spotty bigleaf maples on the Camano Island property also.

4. ssi gardener

Hi Harry and Ron, Hope you're right, Harry, as that doesn't sound too deadly--and Ron, I guess this is quite common, it's just that I've never seen it here on Salt Spring Island. I'll just take a deep breath and hope Mother Nature knows how to take care of her own. Cheers! Lynetta

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

"Tar spots" are fairly common on Big Leaf Maples in the Southern Willamette Valley, and generally are not a concern. More of an aesthetic impact than a health problem. In severe cases, there won't be enough green leaves left to produce energy to sustain the plant, but I wouldn't be concerned about a few spots.

7. ssi gardener

Thanks for the URL, Ron. That's it. The 'green island' is pretty visible and so are the 'tar spots' which Sasquatch has referred to in his reply. I guess nature will take its course. Let's hope no more unexpected courses are served up for awhile. Thanks again everybody. Lynetta