A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

No need to 'chuck' living things out,

I am unsure if you have town gardens shearme, if so then poke a finger in a soft spot in the street garden and let it grow..easy.

Oh I know HBL, Any section of the stem has fibrous roots, very fine but they will happily root..made loads of plants like that, same with Begonias.

Remember the nice pink/cerisey Seedum I showed you in the summer? I planted two clumps in a pot and next season they will gladly have produced two beauties ready to plant out.

Never done the leaf only.I have made two Jades easily though from one small plant given to me last summer.

2. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Nice pictures everyone and the banana plant looks amazing Sherry.

Thanks for the information too Katalina.

3. Nath

Nath Active Member

Well this weekend I am going to have a crack at germinating the Nelumbo seeds that Tugo sent me. I have read so many different varying advice columns and many say they are a nightmare and others say they are easy. I have seeds for the white and the pink so I can't wait to see how I get on.

Thanks Tugo once again and for the growing instructions. Also the Stapelia root seems to have taken very well and is very happy in its new pot.

Nath

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Sometimes realistically, you just have to chuck some excess plants out, unfortunately. Besides ShearMe, those cuttings I sent you would die anyway outdoors over Winter and would not return. Whatever you feel you must do with the extras I sent you, is ok with me.

Yes Nath - that's great that Tugo set you up with the Nelumbo seeds - they are great. I had one of his plants growing in the Summertime, but it got destroyed by thieves. I have white, yellow, cream, red, and several pink varieties, but I am not sure which one to start this late Winter. Knowing me, it will be pink. Germinating the seeds is so easy if you just follow a few tips..

Yes Penny, thank you about the banana plant. It was a gift from ShearMe. I regret to report though, that several of my banana pups did not make it! All three of my high color minis slowly but surely died off, and Bob told me it was no fault of my own, because they are not hardy at all. He said he only has two himself, so I felt a little better. I feel especially bad though because the one that I had left I was going to give to you, but it just started to go downhill and the little stump turned brown. I don't think that type really likes it here, but I am still disappointed.

All hope is not lost however - it is just delayed. I am so sorry Penny - I shouldn't have promised you the pup until I saw if it was going to make it. It was looking like it would for awhile there, but then it took a nose dive. Don't think I'll try that one again - better to stick to something that enjoys our climate - like basjoo.

Also too, my Dwarf Cavendish went the way of the wind this week - I only had one. These plants are tropical and it's best to grow varieties suited to my climate. In Spring I am getting some more types that will be better adapted here. Bob was just telling me a couple days ago about a super dwarf cavendish that he thinks might grow slendidly here. We'll see.

What I have left and what seems to be surviving for me, is the musa basjoo, siam ruby, and ShearMe's mystery banana plant most especially. The rest have all said goodnight, despite my best efforts.

: (

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. tugo

tugo Active Member

Nath, I learned it from dear Sherry, through her posts.
    My opinion, they are very easy to germinate and grow. But always sun is very necessary. Good luck and pls post your pics if possible.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks, Tugrul!

Nath, & others growing Nelumbo (Lotus):

Here are some excellent tips on how to successfully germinate aquatic Nelumbo seeds...

These seeds are said to last for over a thousand years, so there is certainly no rush to sprout them! When you want to germinate one however, get yourself a wide-mouth jar, and fill it a quarter full of water.

Take your Nelumbo nugget and using a nail file, sand one small area of the seed, until you break through the first layer of black, and get to the next layer, which is either brown or white. You don't have to make a giant hole - the idea is to allow water into the seed to get at the embryo and enable it to germinate. You're really just nicking the seed, not sawing it open, just to be clear.

Once you've nicked it, plop it into your quarter filled jar of water, and keep it in a warm area - I place mine on my heat mat. If you don't have a heat mat, then put it on your fridge or rad - somewhere warm. Within hours, the seed will swell and look wrinkly - this promises success. If the seed still looks exactly the same however, you'll know you didn't nick it well enough, and you should do it again.

In a few short days, you'll see the seed split nearly completely in half, and a beautiful spaghetti sprout will emerge with a tightly closed leaf bud at the end of it. It will get longer and longer, and as the sprout grows, you keep adding more water and topping it up, to meet the growth. At this point it should be placed in full-sun.

Lotus plants can grow in surprisingly shallow water, and if your home pot ends up offering 4-6" of water, this will suffice. It is important to give Lotus many hours of sunshine, in order that it may bloom properly - or at all. It is one of the easiest plants to grow, but people think it is difficult. I would say 6" of soil will be sufficient to grow the tuber in, covered with 4-6" of water. A lot of people grow them in half wine barrels lined with plastic. You can cover them with 8" of water if you want to as well - just to show the range.

The tuber, which forms under the soil, can be very brittle, which means it can snap easily - which of course would mean the death of the plant! It must have room to develop and grow, as this plant is a perennial and will return from year to year. As long as the tuber does not freeze solid, it will survive.

Do not try to grow Nelumbo in anything square, as the tuber can get caught in the corners, and snap! The container must be round, and at least 18" wide, to allow Lotus to sprawl. Width of the pot is far more important than depth.

First the floater leaves will develop, which balance the plant. Then the aerial leaves will appear, which are very beautiful. Lastly it will bloom - many gorgeous large flowers. Even the seedpods that develop after the bloom, are extremely ornamental. One truly amazing plant, that's for sure.

Hope this helps, Nath.

: )

7. tugo

tugo Active Member

And my new family member, a baby banana, since 3 weeks with me and got 2 new leaves.
    I also got the grown up photo from the nursery but they do not know what sort it is. Let's see if can survive this winter.
    PHTO0h23 (1).JPG

PHTO0032.JPG

8. The Hollyberry Lady

How exciting, Tugrul!

: o

I hope it thrives for you. Looking great so far...

9. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

It looks so snug there in that tilled soil tugo!

As for those sedums... I put every single little bud and stem I could find into soil, but some did escape me as I sifted through HBL's package. I know I got at least one of everything she sent rooting right now, so a few little bits and pices aren't much of a worry. I know all about sedums' capability to root, and I often find myself tossing bits away as I prune rather than root them for I have so much already! I'm having the same "problem" with my spearmint, but after bringing it inside I think I've limited its resources enough.

My peppermint seems to like the indoors better than the outdoors, but I'm not complaining - could munch on it all day if I wanted!

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, definitely know you are quite knowledgeable about succulents, Zac. I just include the information for people who might not know.

Yes, Peppermint is a great thing to grow. I've grown mint indoors too, and prefer it in pots because of it's spreading and invasive habit. In pots though, it is a dream. Spearmint is one of my favorites, and I might grow some this winter.

Today, I sowed a whole batch of banana seeds - different varieties. They're especially hard to sprout, but we'll see...

11. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Hi HBL, just wonder if the lycium barbarum sprout for you?

12. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hi Tugo,

Of course I will post some pictures as soon as I get any. I can't wait to see your seeds sprouting. Thanks for the advice HBL it is funny you mentioned the half barrels as I was thinking of getting some any way and this would be a great use for them. How cold tolerant are Nelumbo?

I had a back breaking day yesterday planting lots of bulbs and transplanting others, Tulips, Daffodils, Variagated crocus, snowdrops and Hyacinths. Cant wait for spring! I planted winter pansies in the front garden, they have brightened it up no end. I also sowed fresh passiflora seeds straight out of the fruit as I read in an article to do so hope to have some new vines soon, it says that if the seeds are fresh they sprout in a matter of days. We shall see if its true. My Marigolds are incredible this year standing at a metre tall or more and full of flower heads. Also the Cosmos has been amazing full of flowers but its grown taller then me and I can't reach the tops of the plant to pinch of the dead heads, I never realised cosmos could grow to 8 or 9 feet tall. It is exceptionally warm for October/November though been 20 degrees the last few days. Has anybody else had the cosmos shooting up like that this year?

Nath

13. The Hollyberry Lady

No, Et2007, I didn't get around to sowing them yet, as I'd planned, but I am going to real soon - will let you know...

Yes, Nath, cosmos can get pretty tall, and mine cetainly was this year too. It is common for them to get very tall.

They say thay as long as the Nelumbo tuber does not freeze solid, it will return from year to year. I guess the only way to find out is to experiment. Keeping it in a cool sunporch or foyer, might work too.

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

This makes me want to try Nelumbo again... how many extras do you have? I know a good seed company if you don't have many. ;)

15. The Hollyberry Lady

I have a few, but always want more. I sure appreciate Tugrul sharing with me though, because I used to have to spend big bucks to get them from J.L. Hudson, in California.

16. tugo

tugo Active Member

ShearMe, I can send you by post. If you want PM me your address.

17. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Ok, I'll pm you tugo - and thanks! ;)

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Here are my Fire Cracker peppers. One of them is just beginning to redden up for me...

Attached Files:

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's some shots I took early this morning of our back sunporch/foyer, with all my plants in it.

You can see my seed grown "Caerulea" passiflora vine, on the far right, grown from the seeds "JoeyD" sent me.

The second shot shows a close-up of the flowers from my "Berry Swirl" Martha Washington Pelargonium plant, on the far left...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  20. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Woah, that passionflower vine has gotten huge! :O

21. The Hollyberry Lady

I know! Do you see how thick it's become, Zac? It has covered that trellis 20 times over! I grew it from seed and it is now 10 months old!!! It is so healthy and green, and still spends some of it's days outside.

I long to see flowers on it, but I am told one must be patient when passiflora is grown from seed. I am going to cut it back in early Winter, and bring it into my apartment. I will transplant it in late Winter and get it ready to go back outside - and then...

FLOWERS

uh...let's hope...

: o

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

It will be great, I have a feeling about it. ;)

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks, Zac. Well, as soon as it does bloom, you guys will be the first to see...

24. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

My contribution is basil plant.

Attached Files:

25. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Again, gorgeous flowers Sherry, very colorful.

Nice plant too Chhaya