British Columbia: Figs

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by medusabomb, Oct 31, 2009.

1. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Hoping to order figs to grow in the Kootenays. Can anyone suggest some types, and (more importantly!) where I could order them from without too much difficulty?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Take cuttings from the ones grown on the Coast, or you may find them available from Mandeville, Southlands Nursery, sooo many here...you may wish to venture out to the coast, be mindful that the figs will need winter protection in the Kootenays... having grown up in Castlegar, I know what the winters can be like.... and figs would perish without proper care.

3. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

I will look up the nurserys you mentioned, but cuttings do sound appealing. I enjoy starting my own stuff (currently 'nursing' Key limes, satsuma, pinon pine, pawpaw, and a variety of pecans/hazelnuts/walnuts. Ive got 10 acres to fill!) I have wee ones, and cant travel about, are there forums/sources that you know of where I could see if someone would send me cuttings , at my cost?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Thank you Daniel! I will look at that site. I would be interested in trying both a cold hardy variety, and some that require winter migration into the house! Any types that anyone would reccomend, or warn me away from, for either purpose?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'll send private messages to Hazboom and prairiegrapes to have a look at this thread -- strikes me that their insight would be valuable.

In the meantime, see this thread. I looked up Kaslo's hardiness zone and came up with 6a, so that's going to affect things -- you'll likely be looking at pot-grown figs for the most possibilities. BUT, these folks blog about the figs they grow in zones 5-6, and they have a listing of varieties they sell, so there's hope for some outdoor varieties (I believe these are the same people providing information on how they wrap their fig trees for the winter) (PDF).

7. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Thank you so much for all your detailed help, and the time youve spent. I like to plant things 'right' the first time, Ive spent way too much time doing damage control for poor choices! Im an addict.....

8. Hazboom

Hazboom Member

Hee is a copy of my reply to medusa on f4f :
    ( I hope it will help others)

medusabomb: Since you are in Kaslo you are a bit closer to Calgary then Vancouver. I think I drove once around there in 2008...

You are pretty much right that in your area chances are low that you will find a nursery with figs. So you should order on the Internet and I will strongly recommend that you go with Grimo nut nursery in Ontario. You can select any of their varieties since they all have been select for colder climates. They offer fast and efficient service and you can get a tree for a good price. Also, since you are starting I would skip Adriano for now. This is because it can take some time before you get a reply from him and sometimes his cuttings are a bit too skinny to my taste. If you are able to visit Adriano personally then this is a different story but I think you are too far from Oakville Ontario.

There is also a nursery in White rock that ships but I am going to skip mentioning them since their customer service is complete crap.

9. Hazboom

Hazboom Member

Oups I noticed that Grimonut is now only taking orders for spring 2010. I would still go with them since they will sell you an entire tree. Well also try with Adriano you might be lucky and he could be able to send you some cuttings. (in 2008 Adriano was charging 6$ per cutting and it might still be the same price) If you send an email to Adriano just mentions you want him to select a variety for you since he is an expert.

10. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi I was asked to comment on this. You should be able to grow figs in your area. Kaslo's climate is very similar to Kelowna especially if you are up in the Shutty Bench area. you will need to find some earlier and hardier cultivars. There are several people
    growing figs in the Okanagan. I grew a variety named hardy chicago . I grew it in a sw corner of the propert up against a wall. It was good to about -15C and i did get fruit. Several things you can do to increase the survival is winter protection
    ie wrapping the plant and mulching the base. This link should help with your questions.

http://nafex.org/figs.htm

If you get a hold of Don Burnett in Kelowna he might be able to help you.

http://www.thegardenexpert.com/

Don hosts a local garden show and is very knowlwedgeable. I believe you might even be able to get figs from Bylands Nursery in Kelowna.

Cheers

Kim Maser
    Canadian sources Consultant
    Nafex

www.nafex.org