Growers - Quince

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ZyanTopaz, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ZyanTopaz

ZyanTopaz Member

Quince are not a fruit found commonly throughout British Columbia, and, yet, they are a wonderful ingredient to many culinary dishes.

I've been looking for Quince for some time now and would love some input as to where they can be purchased.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Garden centers down here stock fruiting quince (Cydonia oblonga) cultivars. If you have no luck finding them at local outlets now or later, in late winter or spring then maybe you can order one through the mail.

The fruits of flowering quince (Chaenomeles) can also be used. This is a commonly sold and planted ornamental shrub, available in multiple varieties.

3. galiano

galiano Active Member

I bought a Le Borgeot Quince last year from Le Couteau Farms in Central Saanich. http://www.lecoteau.com/index.html

This year we got 15 big quince from this little tree, more than enough to make a batch of fantastic quince jelly. I think Le Couteau usually has quince trees in stock.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One I have been growing on Camano Island was so loaded this year it split apart, unfortunately.

5. galiano

galiano Active Member

They do seem to bear lots of fruit for their size. I had to prop up a number of the branches to save them from breaking.

6. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

I'm in Ontario and would love to find a quince...none around