Poultry farms in southern ontario?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Gardenlover, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

anyone know any chicken farms/supply outlets in southern ontario...I want to apply chicken manure in the spring to my garden.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Gardenlover,

I don't know of any chicken farms in your area, but I would like to address your statement that you "want to apply chicken manure in the spring to my garden." I'm hoping you will be using already aged/composted manure. If not you may want to read these links.

From this site with good info:
    http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

More good info on manure.
    http://gardening.wsu.edu/stewardship/compost/manure/manure2.htm

Newt

3. Gardenlover

I will buy 3 rabbits in the spring and let them loose in the backyard all summer. Their cages will be full of manure. Rabbit manure is even better according to that article...and in my opinion they have less chance of disease(salmonela, ecoli pathogens).

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Gardenlover, be careful 3 rabbits won't necessarily stay as 3!!! If you get 3 bucks you may have trouble with fighting. Don't expect to have any plants left if you let them loose!

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree! If you want rabbit manure why not go to a pet store or contact a rabbit rescue to see if they will give you the manure?

Newt

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

Maybe what you need is a few chickens. :) They will fertilize your garden and will eat all the nasty bugs.

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Err ....chickens will also eat the plants! They also love to scratch out a hollow and dust bath. Chickens and precious plants do not mix either!!

8. greengarden bev

greengarden bev Active Member

Hi Gardenlover,

Maybe I can help. Here's the web site for Chicken Farmers of Ontario:
    http://www.cfo.on.ca

The really big operators, at least in my region, won't be bothered with a citizen-sized request. If you were a commercial-scale compost producer, they'd talk to you.

The smaller operations often sell their manure to composters, or they make their own compost for re-sale. Everyone is looking for "value added" these days, even if they're not environmentally conscious.

Your best bet is to find someone who has backyard chickens who has run out of garden to put manure in...

It is difficult to find these people, 'cause a lot of municipalities ban backyard poultry and they are "underground". You can check Google groups and Yahoo groups for small towns in your area that have groups working on sustainability, peak oil, organic gardening, etc. These groups will know who has spare poop, especially if you're willing to pay a bit for it, or truck it out yourself. Also try the "chicken enthusiasts" boards like CityChicken.

9. Gardenlover

thanks for all the help everyone...

10. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

I have 20 chickens but I use all the manure they produce and it still not enough.