VaChig

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by roberto2, Oct 24, 2009.

1. roberto2

roberto2 Member

I have been told to cut the VaChig bulb from a blooming tree and plant it. I was told a new tree would evolve. Should I?

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome roberfto 2.
    Does this plant have any other name? I cannot find anything on www under VaChig.

3. roberto2

roberto2 Member

I no doubt am using an incorrect name.
    One of my banana trees has a small hand of fruit at the beginning of the fruit stalk. I was told to cut that lower part of the stalk and plant it. But I fear if I cut the unproductive end of the stalk, necessary fluids will drain from the hand that is productive.
    This is only the second year one of my trees has borne fruit.

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

it should produce pups next to the plant that is producing the bananas to make more "trees" i have never heard of planting the lower part of the banana flower the only time i have heard of anything to do with cutting any part of the flower is for cooking and some think cutting it makes the bananas themselves ripen faster the theory is that it is not putting energy into trying to make more bananas and puts that energy into the already forming fruit and makes it grow faster. i am not sure either way on the lower part of the flower producing another plant i guess its worth a try as for the cutting it to make the fruit grow and ripen faster i have done it and never noticed a difference in the time it takes to grow and ripen it did not slow it down or spead it up.the main forms that i have heard of for most accept the few seeded varietys left, the form of propagation is pups that form beside the mother plant or by tissue culture if by some chance you do plant the lower part of the flower and it does make another plant it would would good to know but have never heard of it myself

5. roberto2

roberto2 Member

This is only the secong time my plants have produced. I am loathe to interfere and fear I will lose the small hand I do have. BUT if itis possible that cutting that ogg will ripen the fruit faster and sweeter, I guess I will taka a chance.
    To add to my concerns, a Tangerine tree in my yard is loaded withj fruit. Some of the branches are bent to the ground and I can do nothing about them.
    What happens if I pick the fruit green and place it in paper bags? Will it ripen?

6. roberto2

roberto2 Member

Hurricane/tropical storm IDA solved my problem with my babana tree. It toppled it. I cut the unripe fruit off and have it is a borwn paper bag, with an apple. Thanks for all you help

7. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I was wondering how the panhandle made out during this storm. Hope all else is okay with you.

The bananas will probably ripen if they are mature enough. It's like picking green tomatoes. At a certain point they pass from inedible to ripe but not colored up yet. At this time of year, in Zone 9a or 8b, it may be too early for your bananas. Here in 9b, people may get bananas in December from plants they wrapped to protect from November's chill.

Your tangerines probably fell en masse during the storm. Generally, citrus needs to be picked ripe, but they also have a stage when some few of the fruit are still green in color, but will color up when picked. Citrus growers down here will often gas the fruits with ethylene for brighter color. My experience is the deeper shade fruits will be greener in color or greenish on one cheek. Not all of your fallen green fruit will be good to eat, but people are picking fully ripened tangerines right now.

Any fruiting tree needs TLC, like a pregnant animal. Bearing offspring is hard on the organism, and we do what we can to improve viability. That may mean trimming away some immature fruits, or shoring up with lattice or scaffolding, or wrapping against winter cold and wind.

8. roberto2

roberto2 Member

The babana hand such as it is in a paper bag with an apple. I plan to check the Tangerine tree tomorrow. I was suprised the green ones I did pick did ripen in a bag. No doubt less sweet that tree ripe fruit.
    My age limites my ability to tend the trees. I willk seek somone to prune the Tangerine agter the fruit has been picked, I would like the tree bushier. I used Miracle Grow on all my trees this yesr. I often wonder why the one stand of bananas never bears.
    Ida's damage was minimal, mostly high water and hish tides. I did lose power but it was restored before daybreak.
    Thanks for your reply.