Virus?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rhynno, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Hi all,

My hoya has lived a happy life. I recently moved and brought it along with me. That was three months ago and up until now the plant was happy.

Recently black spots started to appear on random leaves. The spots would grow and sink into the leaves until the leaf itself turned a sickly crinkly yellow before finaly falling off.

I have never seen anything like it. Is it a virus? Or something else?

Any help is greaty appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't grow any hoya and am not the best with pest or disease info, but read that they are susceptible to fungus. I would certainly remove and dispose of all the affected leaves (wipe your implement between cuts with alcohol), and keep the plant on the dry side and try to keep excess humidity down.

Maybe someone will recognize the condition and provide better treatment advice.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Wondering if it got cold during the move...? Does its new location vary from its previous one in terms of light level, temperature? How much and how often do you water?

4. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

I usually let it dry out pretty well before watering. Also, I moved in august so it was nice and warm still :/...

It has similar light, water, humidity and feeding compared to when I moved. None of my other plants are getting these weird symptoms :(. I really don't want to have to throw this guy out...

5. togata57

How much of the plant is affected? and, What is the state of the soil in its pot?

6. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

It's a light, soil-less mix that has stood up well. It's not soggy and broken down. The plant is still not rootbound enough to flower (and may never now :/).

Right now only a few leaves are blighted while half a dousen others have started to get the same spots. They're very small but growing :(.

7. togata57

Hmm. If you haven't already, remove any other plants from the hoya's vicinity. I think it does sound like a fungus. Some people (so I've read) use athlete's-foot-fungus spray on their plants...dunno about this!...I suggest a designed-for-plants fungicide.

Sounds like you're doing the right things. Hope that your plant can made healthy again!

Hey, hoya people out there: any specific recommendations for Rhynno's plant?