Moving tomato plants indoors

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Karalyn, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Please direct me to a posting about growing tomatoes inside that I just brought in from outside.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Re: Growing Indoor Vegetables in Containers. Need advice.

Here are some tomatoes that I started late in the season in a hanging basket, called "Red Currant".

I have now brought them inside because the weather has become so cool, and they are ripening up beautifully for me now. I have tons and tons of green little cherry tomatoes on this plant, yet to turn red.

I can offer them a lot of light in my living room and the basket is still saturated in sunlight as it was outdoors! The 2nd shot shows the plant when it was just young, and still developing...

: )

Attached Files:

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    this crazy tomatos that did NOT grow 1cm for 3month since I put them in a pot NOW they are growing and are not 1foot tall and have ONE tomato growing on it
    I started taking them inside also..
    :-( the kitten is VERY interested in that ONE tomato and the yello flowers :-)
    So how much temperature can they handle in the day time outside 9-12 C is that enough in full south ?

4. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Wow, nice!

5. The Hollyberry Lady

When it's below 10 C, I am leery.

This tomato plant really seems to be enjoying the indoor warmth, and many more tomatoes are turning red for me. A great thing for new tomato container gardeners to know is that if you can provide warmth and sunshine, you can continue to ripen your late Fall crop inside, and you don't have to miss out. Sun is important though.

Be sure to look at the picture close-up and magnified so you can see the many fruits beginning to turn. It was kind of overcast yesterday when I took the shot, so it's a bit dark...

Attached Files:

6. vicarious1

my partner was worried that inside there will be no pollination. Do Tomatoes need pollinaton we have quite some flowers now and ONE growing 1" across...:-) This will be a LATE carriage :-).

7. The Hollyberry Lady

No, in fact they do not require pollination to produce fruits indoors!

: o

8. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. vicarious1

ok so I use my vibrator to make the tomato selfpollinate I have a hand held one for the sole of my feet that our cats love

so I just VIBRATED all my indoors tomato flowers and the cats sat around in a cicle and wanted some :-) of the vibration they normally only get at TV time :-)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  10. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Wow, those are nice little tomatoes. I have mine in the LR with a floor to ceiling window facing south. Usually the hottest room in the house and they are also near the heater vent as well. I have an Ott lamp if needs be, but also realize, that if this becomes too burdensome I can let go of growing. As eventually a Christmas tree is going to take this prime location. Then down to the basement the plants will go.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, well south sun is great when ripening an indoor crop of tomatoes, and if they're still actually growing, I would say it's necessary.

I also grow and produce tomatoes over Winter, using my south window, and my bright metal halide light system. "Patio" tomato grows especially well inside over the cold months - and "Polfast" too. I also have a small 1 foot tall "table tomato" variety, that grows beautifully in an east window.

Here is another shot of my October ripening tasty little beauties...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009