Money Tree Bonsai Pruning (pics included)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Dragfameson, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Dragfameson

Dragfameson Member

Hello,

I have recently aquired a Lucky Money Bonsai Tree!

I noticed the leaves on the top and some off to the side are very large and I want them to be smaller like a bonsai. Any suggestions on how I can prune this tree at this point? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. corcor

corcor Active Member

Hi, I have one very similar to this, but have never pruned it. I have worked on leaf reduction on bonsai before though. For one thing, leaves will reduce with pot culture, meaning as this tree ages in the pot, the leaves will begin growing smaller. Mine got a little sun scorched this summer when I moved and placed it in a area with lots of sun light, as the leaves grew back they were smaller. You could constantly prune the larger leaves off to maintain young small leaves. But until I have more experience with this species that is the only way I could reccomend...hope this helps a bit

3. Dragfameson

Dragfameson Member

Thanks for your response corcor :)

So when you say, "prune the larger leaves" you mean I can just cut those off and it will grow back, but smaller? How exactly do I do it?

Take a look at my picture where I have an arrow pointing to one of the large leaves. So if I cut it where I drew the red line, the leave would grow back, but smaller?

Attached Files:

4. corcor

corcor Active Member

IMG_0226.JPG

cut them like this picture...this is a whole leaf...the stem will die back and new shoots will sprout from the area this came from

5. Dragfameson

Dragfameson Member

How far down below the leaf? Some of these larger leaves are coming off a pretty long steam. Do I cut right below the leaf, or further down the stem?

6. corcor

corcor Active Member

just cut about half way down, let it die back then you can pick off the rest of the dried stem

7. Dragfameson

Dragfameson Member

And then new leaves will grow from the spot where I made the cut?

8. corcor

corcor Active Member

the stem will die back to the point where it comes out of the trunk, if you look at the base of the stem there should be a small lump, that lump is a bud where the new sprout will come from