Mosaic Tobacco Virus?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Joey D, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hey all, I've been super slacking on hanging around in the forums :(

but some of my pepper plants, and a couple of my other Solanaceae seem to be infected with mosaic tobacco virus. I've read that you can't really do anything about it, although a friend of mine came over and said that I could use serenade? I'm not sure about that thought because I don't know how it would work on a virus. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated! Also, if for some reason I had to get rid of the plants to control the spread of it, would the seeds of the fruit be infected? Would growing a plant from one of the seeds produce a plant that is already infected? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Your photos show what look like leaf miners. Look carefully at the end of the tunnels; you may be able to dig out a little insect larva.

3. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

I went out to check. It does seem more like leaf miners. I can use a paper clip and peel away the top layer of the leaf where the trail is. There is even a blackish line down the middle of parts of it. I'm not sure what that part is? I think I may have found a very small green worm-like thing at the end of one of the trails. What is the pest way to control this? Should I peel off all of the areas where they have 'mined'? Wikipedia mentions Spinosad...

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Turds ;-)
    Just squash the insects in the leaves.

5. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

That sounds easy enough :)