Concerned Gardener

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Ron_Bauer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Re Vancouver Jade (Kinnikinnick) - I have noted this week that our gardeners are spraying for weeds amongst the Kinnikinnick using Roundup. I was concerned that the Kinnikinnick would be killed.

The weeds are wilting however the kinnikinnick seems to be healthy.

Is Kinnikinnick resistant to Roundup?

I also, wondered if Kinnikinnick is unaffected at this time of year since it is growing very slowly?

Last spring a lot of our Kinnikinnick died, however, not all plants died. One would be dead and the one beside it would be fine.

I am wondering if our gardeners are using this method of weed control and Kinnikinnick takes longer to die.

Thank you for your insight

Ron Bauer
    604 538-5830

2. petejacobsen

petejacobsen Member

Ron,
    Roundup would typically take at least twice as long to be noticable on a perennial or woody plant compared to grasses and normal weeds. Also, it is only effective on the leaves, so if the spray is directed at some over growing plant material (and Kinnikinnick is a ground cover as I assume) it may not get nearly as much of a dose.

3. We have been monitoring the Vancouver Jade (Kinnikinnick) that I observed being sprayed with Roundup back in August. It has a number of leaves that have turned black. The dead leaves are directly below the morning glory that was being sprayed.

In addition, we observe that a number of Jade along the trail that the Gardeners have maintained have leaves that are discolored but they are not black like those that we know were spayed. Could it be that these plants received less spray?

Would it be possible for us to take some of the affected material to a lab and have it tested for roundup? What lab?

Thank you again.

Ron

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bearberry and other manzanitas often turn black from natural diseases here anyway, apparently the herbicide produced a similar effect (if the black is concentrated in the sprayed spots and not spread throughout the foliage).

5. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

there are places you could get it tested / But where are you?

If you are in Fraser Valley then the reaserch center in Abbotsford would be a good bet.

Also salts along pathways may cause this as well as all the things listed above by Ron.

As far as your contractor goes check and make sure that they are certified, ask to see their (at least in B.C.CA.) certificate and logs of what was used and when.

Regards Doug