Acer palmatum"summer gold"

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Berry van Keulen, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

I am looking for more information on Acer Palmatum "summer gold". I know of the Gilardelli nursery where they have grown this new cultivar, but I haven't seen any other pictures than véry young specimins. I've got no idea how tall it will grow in my garden, and how vigorous it is. We live in the south-east of the Netherlands on a sandy soil. I'm looking for a yellow/golden leafed small tree and the typical palmatum like form (bushy and wide) would suit us perfectly. We ruled out the Acer Shirasawanum "aureum" because of it's slow growth aswell that it is said that it doesn't get very tall in our country.
    Does anyone have any more information and pictures for me? I know that Gomero has had a thread on this acer. Perhaps you/he could help me with some info on the poolside acer palmatum "summer gold" and how it is thryving now, a few years later?
    Kind wishes, Berry

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my reply in gallery pics!

3. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Note to Alex66,
    How do I get to your gallery pics? I am a novice to the forum-thing!
    Berry.

4. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Berry -
    hope I don't offend by suggesting a tree other than a maple, but have you thought about a gingko biloba? They are incredibly beautiful.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What about A. shirasawanum 'Jordan?'

-E

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

'Summer Gold' is a strong grower and the shape and form after several years growing depends on you, whether you let it grow 'naturally' or you prune it and shape it. It may have significant die-back in cold, wet springs and may suffer from what I call (for wanting a better name) 'yellow-cultivars-summertime-blotches'. Otherwise it holds very well in full sun in my place.
    Alternatively, as Emery points out, shirasawanum 'Jordan' takes also full sun very well but without the drawbacks of 'Summer Gold'.

Gomero

7. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Hye Gomero,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I understood, from the website of Gilardelli, that summer gold takes sunshine very well, but indeed they don't mention wet springs. My hesitation of choosing shirasawanum "Jordan" is that from other sources I read it was a slow grower; 10 years for 2 meters (the Esvelt Maple nursery in Holland). I also understand Jordan has an erect habit of growing, wheras palmatum summer gold first grows upwards and then outwards (that's what I am looking for) , which is a shame because the Jordan foliage is my favourate compaired to palmatum summer gold.
    Gomero, do you have any idea what couses the blotches? You mentioned in earlyier correspondence summer gold takes the hot sun very well. Do you think it has anything to do with the spring wet? or a wet summer?
    I would very much like to know from anybody who has a Summer gold in our aerea, how tall it will grow, and how it takes to our wet springs.
    Like to hear from you,
    Berry.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. Gomero

In my case 2 meters after 7 years without fertilization. I have seen recently 1.5 m after 2 years with fert.

You can, in both cases, obtain the shape you want with appropriate pruning. Without pruning they both will grow in a V shape.

No, I do not know; it may be genetics (see thread on 'Akane' in the Gallery). I confirm it takes hot sun very well.

Gomero

9. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Note to Gomero,
    Are you talking about the acer palmatum or the shirasawanum Jordan that grew 1.5 m in 2 years, because that is quite a differance in height. And just blaming the dutch weather for such a differance is a bit to much. If you do mean the shir. Jordan, I assume the shirasawanum "Jordan" that grows so well is grafted onto an other Acer. But which one because I thought all shir. are not so vigorous.
    Thank you for your help,
    Berry.

10. Gomero

Berry,

I understood your first question, as quoted, referred to A. shirasawanum 'Jordan', my answer thus pertains to that culltivar. To my understanding shirasawanum cultivars are both grafted on shirasawanum and palmatum rootstock. I cannot tell on which one were grafted the (fertilized) plants I saw measuring about 1.5 m in 2 years.

Gomero

11. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Thank you Gomero,
    this might explain the diffenence in growth; grafted onto a shirasawanum or a palmatum should be influencing the vigour of the plant. I'll ask a Maple nursary (Dick van der Maat in Boskoop,Holland) if the Shirasawanums he grows, are grafted to the palmatum rootstock aswell, for I do know he graftes onto palmatum. So if he grows his own shirasawanum Jordan aswell, I will finally know which tree to grow.
    Thanks Gomero for all your knolledge.