Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, May 28, 2006.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Truly outstanding cultivar introduced recently by Fratelli Gilardelli of Milano. It is, in my opinion, without any hesitation the best yellow cultivar for hot, sunny conditions. Mine is in a container in the tiled terrace by the swimming pool receiving full (Southern France) sun from 9:00 to 18:00, and without a trace of leaf burn. Pics taken today (with an air temperature of 29°C). The red twigs and branches add interest to the plant.
    Overall I have found the Fratelli Gilardelli introductions (Stella rossa, shirawasanum Jordan, ..) very well performing in hot sunny conditions.

Gomero

Attached Files:

DreamerLam and GreenLarry like this.
  2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Gomero, as a result of viewing your pics of Summer Gold, I found the Fratelli Gillardelli web site. I would agree with you they have produced some outstanding cultivars, and seem a very professional operation, I wa scertainly impressed.

Ashizuru.

3. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, Gomero-

I guess you got these trees from the Italians yourself, by visiting them ? Any way of getting this beautiful tree through mail?

All best.
    Schusch

4. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Gomero,

Beautiful looking cultivar. Looks like a winner, especially if it can handle direct sun, which you wouldn't expect from a yellow leaf form. Maybe it'll reach our shores in the US in the coming years. I visited Italy on vacation last summer and I wished I could have visited Fratelli Gilardelli, but we didn't go to Milan (although I tried to entice my wife to go there - something about world class shopping for fine leather, watches, jewlery, and Acer palmatums -- but it didn't work :-(. Thanks for sharing the information on this new cultivar.

Brian

5. Gomero

Even though I saw it for the first time at the Fratelli Girardelli nursery, actually I bought it from a supplier who had placed a wholesale order with them. In fact their nursery is not open for the general public, they are wholesellers. If you want to visit you have to call and request an appointment. My feeling is that you are more likely to find it through distributors and large garden center chains with a lot of buying power.
    I believe they patented this particular cultivar.

Gomero

6. Gomero

Update on this cultivar.
    It is in its second year in my garden. It is in a large pot in full sun by the swimming pool. It confirms its outstanding qualities of staying a beautiful yellow in full Southern France sun. In fact I have noticed that the yellow gets more intense as the season goes and the sun does its work. The red twigs add a stunning contrast with the yellow leaves. Here is cultivar that, sooner or later, will make it to Garden Centers in Southern California ;o)))
    Pics taken 22/04/2007.

Gomero

Attached Files:

DreamerLam likes this.
  7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Note to Gomero: This cultivar is all you've said and more. It's outstanding, though very difficult to find in the U.S., and while mine is a tiny tree at this point, it's clear that it's a really amazing keeper. These photos were taken April 30 and May 8, 2009 of the same plant. I have it placed in a pretty hot sunny location and expect it to perform well.

Attached Files:

8. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Note to gomero,
    I am very interested in the acer palmatum "summer gold". I'm looking for a yellow leafed small tree, and am fond of acer palmatum aswell. I live in the south-east of the Netherlands, and by searching in books and on the internet, think I have finally found "Thé" tree I am looking for. However I don't know how it will perform in our area because it is a relatively new specious. I've only seen very young specamins. Do you have any updates on your acer palmatum "summer gold" by the pool at all? Perhaps you've made any pictures lately? And do you have any other information of its height an whith and its vigour. For example, I've looked at the Acer Shirasawanum "aureum" but this tree is such a slow grower and doesn't get very tall in our country, that I have put it of my list. I would like to hear from you or anyone else who can give me some more information. (I have seen the Gilardelli-site)
    Since I am a novice at this forum-thing, I hope I can find possible replies from anyone, so please give me some time to learn.
    Kind greeting, Berry

9. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

hi
    i got one in full sun
    it seems a medium grower for me
    it is not bushy in my garden
    like the other introduction of gilardelli, it is a great specimen easy to grow

10. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

this is one of my 3 summer gold ,this is by www.fessiafabrizio.it/ and have a very good foliage color! sun exp.is sun for many hours ;my zone is 9, 200m above sea level, is in open soil .planted in spring 2007 pics date spring 2009
    ciao

Attached Files:

11. David81

David81 Member

Perfect yellow cultivar for hot and sunny climate.. Keep well the colour until summer, wide foliage. Beautiful orange autumn colour.
    Pics autumn 08

Attached Files:

12. alex66

nice pics!
    ciao

13. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

What beautifull foliage!
    Does anyone know of any pictures of acer palmatum "summer gold" of an older specamine, not taken upclose but from a distance so I can see the shape of an older specamine of this cultivar.
    Also I would like to find out how this acer performs in the south-east of the Netherlands. Can anybody help me on this?
    Berry

14. David81

David81 Member

this is mine (not very old, only 2 years) from a little distance in early spring

Attached Files:

15. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

This is very promesing. Only two years old and allready thát tall! Still, you live in la bella Italia, and we will have to do with our climate. However, we can allready notice the climate change very well. Spring realy starts earlyer and autumn is later and more beautifull as well. Winters still can be cold but as the spot for my tree is very sheltered I don't think I will have any problems with that.
    Thank you David 81 for your encouraging fotograph!
    Berry.

16. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Note to Alex66
    Alex, you seem to be the proud owner of quite an "old" specamine if I interpreted the picture well enough. Would you by any chance have a picture of your "summer gold" taken from a little distance, so I can have a look of how it will develop through time?
    Berry.

17. alex66

hi i not have pics with total look of summer gold in this link www.gilardelli.it there are every news ;no more pics available but good description!!by the man that select this cultivar, clik on japanese maples and after on news
    ciao

18. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Thank you Alex66, I've looked it up and read it. As you said; very good discription but no overall photograph.
    I have now had contact with a Japaneese Maple nursery in Holland, and he said they graft their palmatum cultivars on a Acer Palmatum for vigorous growth. He says propagated cultivars are not so good in gardens. They don't perform to well in those conditions, so a good rootstock of Acer Palmatum to graft your cultuvar on is much better.
    Bye, Berry

19. David81

David81 Member

20. Berry van Keulen

Berry van Keulen Member

Thank you David 81, for your trouble. I've seen the website, and am very impressed by this nursery,
    Bye,
    Berry

21. grdnrman

grdnrman Member

northeast of beautiful Finger Lakes region NYState
    I've been reading all the posts about AP "Summer Gold". I'm VERY interested in buying this beautiful acer for my home landscape. Do you know of any nursery in the U.S. where I can buy this maple by mail order? I've searched the internet widely and can not find a U.S. mail order source. I live in the northeast Finger Lakes region of Central New York State, hardiness zone 5. Thanks for any help you can provide. grdnrman@aemail4u.com

22. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Gomero:
    I see that you have had your Summer Gold since early 2004. Could you please tell me a bit about the growth of the tree? What is the approximate size now compared to when you acquired it in 2004? What is the general shape?
    I just purchased one and am trying to place it between a purple leaf plum and an Acer Palmatum Dissectum Nigrum 'Everred' and want to be sure to place it properly.
    Thank you for any help.

23. Gomero

The tree has been growing fine with little die-back. The first two pics show how it looks today. It is in full sun and, in particular, receives the hot afternoon sun of my area showing just a little bit of leaf tip burn at the very end of the summer. It must be about 2.5 meters tall. It has not been pruned for shape.

I have also added two additional pics showing the samaras. Their upright nature would indicate that this cultiver is, yet, another shirasawanum x palmatum hybrid.

Gomero

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  24. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Gomero,

Thank you for the reply and the pictures. I hope mine does as well as yours. I am planting mine between an Everred and a purple leaf plum and would like to have the same red/yellow contrast as you have.

25. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Summer gold is holding up very well here in South Carolina in heavy sun (not quite full sun but close to it). I definitely consider it an improvement over Orange dream and possibly all other yellow leaf cultivars.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that it seems to display characteristics of shirasawanum and palmatum?