Mushroom kits

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by hudakore, Oct 15, 2009.

1. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

I'm interested in starting to grow some mushrooms...chanterelles, portabellas, shiitakes, oysters or the like. Any suggestions for where to get spores, kits, book, etc.?

2. howliebarry

howliebarry Member

As strange as it may sound, you can pick one up at the Vancouver Seed Bank on Hastings. I got one last year, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I know commercial stuff is prohibited in forum, but since I have nothing to do with this company, I'm hoping I can assume its OK to pass this info on to you?

Western Biologicals, Abbotsford B.C. ships kits, provides spawn for a very large range of species, good reputation. westernb@shaw.ca (604) 856-3339. I assume they would ship to the U.S. but if not, I'd ask if they could direct you to a good U.S. supplier.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's fine to post links to commercial entities: as long as it is in response to a query.

5. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

6. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
  7. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Looks like a winner! Have you found this easy enough to do with any success?

8. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Haven't tried it - with a half-acre, and a bad back, I am already over-commited! But I can tell you that everything I've bought from them has been successful, and as advertised. Good luck in your pursuit!

9. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I picked up a prepared mushroom kit at a local Farmer's Market this summer but since it's not really summer anymore and the markets are closed for the season that won't help you much - sorry. I did enjoy the mushroom kit but it only lasted a short time. I'm sure Western Biologicals has a fine product but you want to check about cross-border delivery of biologicals!