Identification: Need IDs please

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by hudakore, Oct 10, 2009.

1. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

#1 looks like some kind of puff balls but I still don't have an ID to #2. They (#2) all cluster together and are real rubbery (unlike most cap-type mushrooms which are rather delicate). However, they do look like cap mushrooms judging by the few that are standing alone. What can they be?

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

#1 is Geastrum fimbriatum, earthstar fungus.

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I'd like to know the spore print color on #2 if possible.

4. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

I've been wiating 3 days for a spore print but so far, there's nothing. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Here's another shot of them on a background. I notice they both have something like a tear that curls up. Is that of any help?

Attached Files:

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

... supercrowded gills ... that's got to lead somewhere...

6. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

It's funny, too...they're coming up all over different places in the front and back yards. It looks like there's a huge fairy ring of them around our tamarack tree but they don't seem to be particular where they're at.

7. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I'm wondering if I have the same thing? However...mine had a very prolific white spore print. These ones were found in a gully at a park under Oaks with several other kinds of mushrooms including Shaggy Mane and Lycoperdom perlatum.
    I took the cluster home that you see in my hand...and like you said, VERY durable. An almost waxy texture to the cap but dry...not tacky. They were hard to break. I took a ton of photos of these. They have a pleasant smell...even when dry.
    The peeling of the stem sometimes occurs with dry/wet/dry spells.....our Chanterelles do it in our area.

Attached Files:

• id3.jpg
      id3.jpg
      File size:
      212.1 KB
      Views:
    • id2.jpg
      id2.jpg
      File size:
      249.2 KB
      Views:
    • ID1.jpg
      ID1.jpg
      File size:
      128.9 KB
      Views:
  9. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Thank you for your contribution! Like I said, they're popping up all over my yard. Maybe that's why I didn't see any spore prints...I put them on what paper...dah. I'll put some on a dark/black piece of paper and see what happens. They sure look and sound like what I have. If they are/were edible, there's enough for a feast.

10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

One possible for your's is Lyophyllum decastes (Fried-Chicken Mushrooms), maybe?

11. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Whoopie!! I think you're right! I just sent 2 images to Roger's Mushrooms for another ID. If they are, they're considered "choice" in edibility. However, I'll wait for a positive ID for that one.

12. mycomania

mycomania Member

13. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Looks similiar but I think that's a Western species that lives with evergreen-type trees.

Did we ever get a spore print or a smell on these?

Are these under a maple or what kind of trees do you have here in your yard?

14. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Well, in any case, I've collected, cleaned and dried 3 buckets full. Fried some up and they're quite tasty. We've eaten them twice now and no ill effects. I'd say they're definately Fried Chicken mushrooms. The spore print is white. I don't know if there are any poisonous look-alikes but we're still alive and kicking.