Identification: What on earth is this?!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by hudakore, Oct 14, 2009.

1. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

I found this on a path at the openning of our woody area of the yard. It had some broken pieces next to it and had apparently been brought there by some animal as 1/2 hour earlier it wasn't there. I thought it was a peeled banana :O It's about 3" long, hollow inside and you can see a small opening at one end. It felt a little like styrofoam. It had a "mushroom-y" smell so I figured it was a fungus of some sort. However, I left it on the kitchen table and went downstairs. When I came up the whole house stinks so I'm figuring it's some kind of stickhorn. I threw it out real fast but the horrible smell lingers, yech!!!

So, assuming it's a stinkhorn, can you tell me what kind and where I can see a photo of it growing.

Boy, I'm ready for some Febreeze!!!

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

That's some kind of stinkhorn, as you suggested. A key diagnostic characteristic that I need is the color of the sac that these things come out of.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol..aren't stinkhorns FUN?!?! A friend in our local Myco group had collected some 'eggs' that she found...decided to grow them and see what kind they were. I could smell her coming with her flower pot before she even got out of the parking lot into the building!
    NO fabreeze was going to help THAT! lol

4. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

No kidding! I couldn't get the smell out of my nose or the taste out of my mouth all night!! It actually made me feel a little sick to my stomach. HOWEVER, that said, I'd love to see what it looked like where it grew.