My trees and rose bushes are dying

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Alisald, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Alisald

Alisald Member

So I have a Shamel Ash, and several rose bushes that have all turned brown and the leaves are crunchy. The trunk on the tree still seems like there is sap running through it, but the leaves are very dead. It has been a warm summer, but things are cooling down now. We had a friend who is an arborist come out and look at a Chinese Elm tree a while ago and he said that it had root rot. But our other Chinese elm tree started dying as well but then came back to life a couple months later. All these plants are in the front yard. Does anyone know what is going on with my plants? Does anyone have a suggestion of how to fix my plants?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Are they being watered?

3. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

What's happening to the neighbours' plants?

D

4. LilSprout

LilSprout Active Member

Hello Arizona:
    I am an Arborist and the two things that come to mind, without looking at the tree, are 1.) like Ron asks - has it been receiving ample watering during summer months?
    2.) Has there been construction or high traffic in and around the tree and shrubs?
    Solutions:
    1.) Poke holes into the earth with a piece of rebar (so that you have the weight to get into the earth about 4 to 6 inches), around the tree/shrubs and lay a soaker hose down and let the water run for a good two days.
    2.) Never allow your trees roots to be walked on, as this not only can damage the root system of a young tree, but it can compact the soil around the tree and this will not allow the needed moisture to penetrate the soil into the roots.
    LS

5. Alisald

Alisald Member

Hello, and thanks for responding. My tree and rose bushes have ample water and they are completely out of the way of being walked on. My Shamel Ash is in the middle of my yard and receives water from not only my sprinklers (for my grass) but also specific drips just for the tree. We have about 6 rose bushes in our front yard (also on drips) but only two are dying. The others are flourishing and still producing roses. After our friend came over (the arborist) we pulled our first Chinese Elm that died. Then when our second Chinese elm started dying we figured it was the same thing, but it came back. Now I am not so sure the first was actually root rot...but what else could it be that is effecting our entire yard?

6. Alisald

Alisald Member

I have noticed some other trees in the neighborhood dying, but it doesn't seem like any of my direct neighbors are having any problems. We have always kept our yard up pretty well...watering, feeding, insect control...etc. It is so frustrating! It doesn't matter what we do it just keeps spreading.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You're not going to find anything specific out posting limited descriptions of conditions there on the internet. For better results from your efforts, go back to seeking local guidance from those who can examine the plants in person. You may have to send soil and/or plant tissue samples to your state cooperative extension service for testing and diagnosis. It could be a pest, a pathogen, effects resulting from cultural practices like how much and where water is being applied...or a combination of circumstances.

Hybrid rose bushes in particular can peter out due to a number of different causes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

I had roses that did really well for years with little care until we had a really harsh winter here last year and this summer many had to re-grow what was lost or just did not recover well at all. One old fashioned rose, New Dawn outdid herself once she started blooming and still holds the last unusually late blossoms. Some did well. Compassion is another that did really well this year following the bad winter.

D