GIANT King Bolete!!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Kuhnayjun, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

What a day! Never thought I would ever see a King this big. Too bad it was so wormy. Left it in the bush to spread it's spores. Also finally found some Admirables and some Zellers. Someone on here mentioned eating Zellers but I can't find the post. I would like to know how to prepare them and if they dry well.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Kuhnayjun,
    That was probably me talking about Zellers.
    I've not dried this species before, but I figure since bolete flesh structure qualities seem to be pretty similar between species, these should also dry well.
    I eat them sauteed in butter, by themselves, on toast, atop pasta ... but I've never acquired enough to dry them.
    cheers,
    frog

3. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

Thanks for getting back to me Frog. I cooked up some of both the Zellers and the Admirables today. I must say I prefer the taste of the Zellers by a narrow margin. Might have just been a better brand of butter to make the difference though. The rest are in the dryer drying as I type. What could possibly got wrong .......

4. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

When I was a kid in Ontario my parents always took us mushrooming in the fall, one reason I love the country.

We picked many Boletus of the one sort but when I see them now I am no longer sure of which are the edible ones as I have read that there are some that are toxic.
    Any particular things to ID the edible ones by?
    They have a unique texture not appreciated by all who try them but I guess I just got used to them while growing up.
    Mother used to cook them up with onions and butter. Great with sweet/sour rye bread.

Mom told us how during WW2 mushrooms would be gathered and boiled in salt water with the water being spilled off. This was supposed to draw any toxins.They lived but I would not try it unless very desperate!

Haven't been out there for a long while it seems.
    Glad to see that there are still some big ones out there so close to home.

D

5. TimA

TimA Active Member

I'm not an expert on fungi (nor have I played one on TV) but my information is that boletes with red pores and/or blue-bruising flesh require extra caution.