Anthurium ID, anyone?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by lorax, Oct 9, 2009.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

This is from the transitional forests at about 1100 meters, between Mera and Santa Clara somewhere (I do have GPS coordinates, but it's all the same forest type) in the Pastaza Province, Ecuador. It's not keying out for me with the other trilobate Anthuriums, likely because the lateral lobes are completely separate.

Any guesses?

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I have an idea but I'll ask Dr. Croat to log-on and tell you for sure. It would be in Anthurium section Semaeophyllium due to the tri-lobes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  3. photopro

Beth, I believe this is Anthurium rimbachii Sodiro also known by the synonym of Anthurium falcatum Sodiro

Here are some notes for you to compare. These are from Dr. Croat's field notes on TROPICOS:

Cataphylls pink tinged, persisting semi-intact, blackish; petioles subterete, very weakly sulcate toward apex, pale green; geniculum slightly paler, considerably swollen; blades subcoriaceous, dark green, semiglossy above, much paler, semiglossy below; midrib acutely raised, moderately paler above, prominently round-raised, moderately paler below; primary lateral veins weakly sunken, slightly paler above, weakly raised and concolorous below; interprimary and tertiary veins in part raised above; inflorescence erect-spreading, spathe pale green with veins moderately darker; spadix pale grayish green (pre-anthesis), brownish (post-anthesis); anthers pale yellow.

I've asked Tom to look at this link so we'll see if I got it right. The species is normally found in northwestern Ecuador near Esmeraldas so your location doesn't quite fit but we shall see. The spadix turns blackish once it matures and isn't white as is seen in your photo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. photopro

Well, don't listen to me! "This is Tom's response: "This is not in sect. Semaeophyllium because the segments are complete, it is in sect. Dactylophyllium with Anthurium clavigerum and Anthurium digittatum, etc. Semaeophyllum have 3 lobed leaves, not leaves with three segments. It is Anthurium trilobum André. a widespread species of the Amazon drainage."

For those that don't follow botany the difference is the blade is not one complete leaf but instead has three sections. Tom liked your photos Beth and I learned something new as well. Thanks for posting this one. Anthurium trilobum was published to science in 1877

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. trikus

trikus Active Member

I have Anth furcatum , and like the complex leaf shape spp. Such a similar name and shape to Anth falcatum .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cool! Thanks, Steve and Dr. Croat. At least I know what section to look in for the other ones when I find them.