Digging and Processing Horseradish

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Digging and Processing Horseradish

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BKKWA 10 October 2009 Digging and Processing Horseradish.
    The square foot board placed under the plant makes digging the roots easy. I read about the procedure on some garden forum, and this was my first year trying it. The plant was a real joy to dig as opposed to previous years. All the processing is best done out doors, due to the strong fumes given off by the roots.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?horseradish 5 October 2008 Planting Horseradish
    This is how the horseradish was planted in the Fall of 2008. I treat this perennial as an annual, since I believe the roots are less fibrous, and make better condiment. Two plants are grown each year.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. wolf

wolf Active Member

Looks great. That's the most interesting part of my roast beef. One of the few British culinary inventions I can shovel down.

3. Durgan

You means you don't like over-cooked brussels sprouts? That is another British culinary delight.

4. wolf

wolf Active Member

Well, I put into my curry last time and it was great! Unlike those ones I find in supermarket, the real ones actually taste sweet. Guess we have to grow things ourselves before passing the judgement. Welcome to commercialization.

But on the other hand those stuffs cooked by the Two Fat Ladays I watched on Food Network really killed me.

5. Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island Active Member

Durgan, great pictures of the horseradish planting and processing. I shall now brave the digging and take your suggestion to process outside.

How long does the horseradish last in the jars?

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

6. Durgan

I suppose the horseradish will last well over a year if the jar is not opened. There is some color change over time when exposed to air, hence storing in relatively small jars. The material is immersed in vinegar, and little can grow in such a medium.