C. libani var. stenocoma seeds available

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by smivies, May 7, 2007.

1. smivies

smivies Active Member

I finally received my order from Schumacher seeds, 1 ounce of C. libani var. stenocoma seed which is more than I will use myself. For any one wishing to try their hand at growing them, let me know. Canadian addresses only please. Send me a private message.

Simon

2. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi Simon,

did your cedrus grow and are they hardy for you in Kingston??
    the nursery I represent grows them and I've started selling them to Niagara and Toronto areas.

Richard
    in Ottawa

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Yes, they did germinate and I've wintered them outside in pots successfully over two winters....mind you we've had lots of snow and I covered them with a styrofoam rose hat. I planted one in the garden this spring & it tripled it's height (now 14" tall) and I'm debating whether it gets special protection for one more winter? I'd say I'll know if there's a real chance of survival in spring 2011....that's the problem starting stuff from seed.

If the stenocoma you're dealing with are seed grown, I'd say they'd be fine in the Golden Horseshoe and along the north shore of Lake Ontario. If they're grafted, the Niagara region and maybe Hamilton only....my opinion.

There are two 20' Cedrus at Vineland Nurseries (Niagara region), one atlantica which seems to breeze through winters and one deodara which looks kinda yellow in spring. I would say the stenocoma will be fine in Niagara.

4. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Simon,
    I would use a styro cone for the first couple of winters in the ground. I find the killer for conifers is the first few winters, especially if not much snow, and winter sun, then they are fine.
    I believe I spoke to you before about flowering dogwoods in Kngston, you said there were a few around. Mine keep growing but never bloom, 4-5 feet now. I've heard they should, once they are older???

Richard

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

Yes there are, C. kousa. The ones I see flowering are over 10' tall.

6. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

I beleive Cedrus l. Stenocoma is fully hardy to Zone 5b (Milton, Ont). I have a few of them planted from one gallon stocks more than 12 years ago (possibly longer). The biggest one is more than 20 ft tall, and they rarely show any sign of winter damage.