Foraging help

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by vancook604, Oct 7, 2009.

1. vancook604

vancook604 Member

So I'm kinda clawing for some tips for a first time forager. Other than my first trip where I found a few lobsters I have since found nothing. My latest venture today I think I may have had the wrong habitat. I was around the eastern side of grouse and I was hiking up and down and running into alot of moss and fern infested areas, but there was also alot of huckle berry type shrubs and I think young hemlock saplings growing. Im guessing maybe the wrong type of area? I was told salal is usually around chanterelles...and there was plenty...but found no evidence. I went further up the mountain and hit cedars so I figured that's no good either.
    Can anyone offer some tips? how far into the wood should I have to go off a trail or side road, does that matter?
    Would anyone be interested in going on a foray? I dont expect to be shown your spots of course but maybe do some prospecting, show what I should be looking for.
    any help would be greatly appreciated, and again this is just a new hobby I want to take up. not into it for any commercial gain.
    thanks everyone

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you're looking for Chanterelles, try forests under 450 m elevation that have lots of good-sized Douglas Fir trees. They don't mind salal, but they're much easier to spot in open woods with little undergrowth. The North Shore mountains are loaded with Chanterelles; you shouldn't have any problem finding at least a few of them. Being on or off a trail shouldn't make any difference.

3. vancook604

vancook604 Member

I think that may have been the problem with yesterday. I noticed there was alot of undergrowth and that gave me a bad feeling. I think I need to switch over to another mountain area.
    Also, should I be avoid areas with lots of dead fall? rotting trees and fallen branches?
    thank you for the reply

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

As with salal, Chanterelles don't mind rotting trees and fallen branches; but they will be more difficult to see in such situations. Those areas should be good for Winter Chanterelles; so you could keep that in mind for later in the season.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

In my area, Oaks are a sure place to find Chants....
    Fallen log areas in my location are now full of other great edibles like Destructive Pholiota and tons of Oysters.