Propagation?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by WadeT, Jul 22, 2005.

1. WadeT

WadeT Active Member 10 Years

What time of year do you guys recommend for clippings? I've heard Aug to Feb or when the new growths start to harden off. I've got a big list of of conifers to propagate.

Fraser Fir
    Noble Fir
    Grand Fir
    Douglas Fir
    Korean Fir
    Sub Alpine Fir
    Western Hemlock
    Mountain Hemlock
    Blue Spruce
    Sitka Spruce
    Red Spruce (if I can buy one in time)

Thanks!

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Wade--most if not all of these trees make more sense from seed. Root systems are often better and some conifers make poor shaped trees from cuttings (don't want to form a good leader and pyramidal natural shape).

Otherwise, rule of thumb tends to be to stick hardwood cuttings after a frost or two to make sure the cutting is dormant, gives it time to callus and get the start of roots before growth resumes in spring. I like pure sand and a low poly tunnel to protect from winter drying winds. I've actually rooted Jedelloh hemlock very late in the winter successfully, so there's probably quite a good window of opportunity for many conifers...

Glen

3. WadeT

Wow, thank you Glen. I was not aware that softwood cuttings would those types of issues. Guess i'll have to stick with buying seedlings as seeding could be a bit slow. :)

This should be an interesting learning experience though. I've got about 10 clippings already in sand. It's a bit early but we'll see.

Thanks again.

4. timbercheap

timbercheap Member

Hi Wade;

The only softwood I am aware of that is commercially grown from vegetative cuttings is yellow cypress (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis); lately there have been dissappointing results and the company I work for has returned to seed propagation. As Growest quite correctly pointed out there are many kinds of morphology concerns with cuttings. Occassionally, I see western red cedar (Thuja plicata) that has lower limbs in contact with the soil which have produced roots but not in the form and type that would support a mature tree.

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

All the firs are considered "difficult to root" from cuttings, but some success with A. fraseri using IBA and bottom heat. On the other hand, seedlings are very susceptable to damping off and other environmental insults.
    Hemlock propagates easily from seed, but more reliably for cultivars from hard or softwood cuttings, which again are difficult.
    The blue spruces tend to show only a slight "blueness" when grown from seed, and often have to be propagated by grafting. Cuttings are difficult to root, but if attempted should be from terminal shoots to avoid prostrate growth forms.

All of the seeds need cold stratification (4 deg C. for 1 to 3 months) or fall planting for natural stratification.

Ralph

6. WadeT

Great info again. Thanks guys. :)