Identification: Is this a Draecena?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by livin2xlr8, Oct 7, 2009.

1. livin2xlr8

livin2xlr8 Member

I have two of these. While this one is doing great, the other is all but dead. I can't figure out why, though, until I positively identify it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

It looks like it might be D.Marginata, although its hard to tell without seeing how the branches grow under all those leaves!

I've never seen one with such an 'ornamental' look either, very nice looking!

What are the differences in the two plants environments? Have you checked for bugs?

3. livin2xlr8

livin2xlr8 Member

No differences. They are both in my living room. They sit at each end of a long window. My husband thinks it's cuz the vertical blinds are tilted towards the "good" one, and the other one is not getting enough light. But as you can see, there is a drastic difference. Could he be right?

Attached Files:

4. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Definitely a Draecena (thanks for the extra pic!)!

Plants normally adapt quite well to slightly lower light than ideal and I wouldn't have thought it would have such a drastic effect.....how long did the other tree take to lose all its leaves?

The only other thing I can suggest is that you check the roots for rot (although it doesn't seem very probable if you've given the same amount of water to each).

How long have you had these plants for? And did you get them at the same time?

I must admit it has me quite stumped.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

definitely draceana marginata.

when was the last time they were repotted? is there drainage holes in the current containers? what kind of soil mix are they in?

for the one that is sick - could be overwatering that resulted in rot or it could be there's an infestation of spider mites. could also be an infestation of mealy bugs, although, i don't see any white fluff anywhere, so that doesn't seem likely. mites could do damage like that, though.

most likely it's root rot. feel the base of the trunks to see if they are firm. if soft/mushy you may be able to salvage the plants by cutting off above the rotted part and rooting the newly cut pieces (not really the right time of year to be doing that, it can still succeed though). if the trunks feel like they're in good shape, then unpot and look at the roots - remove any that are black or mushy and repot in new soil.

it's not the best time to repot, either. you DO need to do something though, so, regardless of when is the best time to do it, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

best mix is cactus mix (combo of peat, bark bits, perlite) and add in extra bark bits or orchid soil (combo of bark bits, charcoal bits and small stones). they do better in unglazed clay containers (with drainage holes) because the unglazed clay allows the soil to dry out better in between waterings. drac's like a bit of dryness before getting another good drink :)

good luck and i hope you can salvage it!!

6. livin2xlr8

livin2xlr8 Member

I think you're right about the root rot. The pot it's in doesn't drain very well. Thanks so much for your help. I have questions about another plant but it'll have to wait til I take a pic. This is a great site. Glad I found it.

7. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Glad you worked it out:) Draecana's are pretty hard to kill so I'm sure it'll bounce back for you!

Also please accept a belated welcome to the site from me.