How much enegy, in % or ratio, does a

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Beek, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Beek

Beek Member

a plant use in maintenance? This, is minus any growth (trunk; root; vining/reaching new area).

Sorry, but I can't find a simple stat as to how much of a plants life is dedicated to general maintenance. Granted, there may be more expended after a limb or branch loss, but an RMR "resting metabolic rate", as in humans, for plants. A plant in good health and condition, all things being equal, in a vacuum per se, expends what in energy in it's day to day metabolism minus it's growth efforts?

Or, anyone know where I can find such a stat? I've tried to Google, but I get everything from power plants to limb repair solution ratios.

A solid approximation from a well educated/experienced person can do if not too debatable.

Thanks, :)
    L

2. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

hi,

I am afraid that you are not going to find a simple figure as different plants have different growth/survival/reproductive strategies. To take extremes, a long-lived tree and a short lived annual are going to allocate different amounts of energy into maintenance structures.

To get better results on a google search try
    plant (or tree) growth energy (or resource) allocation

A useful book (very technical) is "Plant Physiological Ecology" Lambers, Hans et al 2008 - you can read some of it online through Google Books. The pie chart on p 133 might be what you are looking for ...or how about the diagram at the bottom of page 139 on Pinus contorta.

Good Luck !

Brian

3. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I think the information you are looking for is probably to be found in scientific journals, which often won't let you view any content without paying for a subscription. Did you try google scholar/books? You might be able to find some information you can view without having to pay...