Identification: Mysterious plant my cat has been eating

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Didds, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Didds

Didds Member

Hi Everyone,

I just moved in with a new roommate and he has this vine-like plant with heart shapes leaves that I noticed today my cat has been snacking on. I'm a little worried and would like to identify it make sure that he's not going to require a vet visit. Thanks for any help, I've attached a picture.

Attached Files:

2. kimberlyhope

kimberlyhope Active Member

That looks like my Arrowhead Vine, (Syngonium podophyllum).

The ASPCA website lists it as toxic to dogs and cats. I don't know how much is too much though. You'd probably be best off finding a place for the plant that is out of reach of your cat.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Looks like, Syngonium podophyllum.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

From a scientific point-of-view the warnings are highly exaggerated. The plants contain a form of calcium oxalate crystals and if the cat was in distress it would have immediately stopped "nibbling" since the crystals can burn. The exact same crystals are in spinach and many green foods we normally eat but pet groups have overstated the situation in many, many cases. People in Polynesia, Central America, the Caribbean and SE Asia eat it all the time and have done so for over 10,000 years. We've eaten it many times.

To be injured, the cat would half to eat half the plant to get enough calcium oxalate to do any harm. A few bites may taste bad but that's about it.

You might read this which has been checked by several physicians:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Calcium oxalate crystals.html

By the way.......the "it" is calcium oxalate, not the leaves of a Syngonium.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  5. kimberlyhope

kimberlyhope Active Member

Thanks for the link, Steve. I learned a lot from it. Also, as a vegetarian, I was tempted to click on the link in your article. Also very interesting!

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Glad it helped.

7. Didds

Didds Member

Thanks very much! :) I don't put much stock in the intellegence of this particular cat, so to be safe we swapped this plant with the (non toxic!) banana plant that was in the room that is off limits to cats.