Making Soy Milk

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Making Soy Milk

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LNWXO 14 September 2008 Making Soy Milk Using this home method, at least one knows what they are drinking. It is a simple procedure.

2. wolf

wolf Active Member

You can find one-step soy milk makers at Asian stores, such as T&T Supermarket. Look for "Joyoung".

One thing you should know, those things need to be washed carefuly as things will build up inside.

I have a Taiwan-made raw soy milk maker, which can be used to make many other things, including juice. Never tried anything other than soy though.

3. Durgan

A machine is hardly necessary, since the process is so simple. But the modern world wants everything at the press of a button. Allows more time to view TV.

4. infinidox

infinidox Member

But the things are so bloody noisy you can't hear the kitchen TV. Good thing there is a living room TV, family room TV, rec room big screen TV, and of course the bedroom TV.

5. wolf

wolf Active Member

And there is no bathroom TV? I just can't imagine how you survived for so many years. :-)

6. comradea

comradea Member

Hi, Durgan, Did you know that the residue / particles strained out from the soy milk makes for great fertilizers ? A lady I know used to go to the factory of "Sun Rise" (a big soy product brand out west here) and pick up the strained stuff for free... She'd bury them in rows with the tomato seedlings planted between the soy... and every year she had 4 plants which more than fed her extended family of 8 and she had a hard time keeping up with finding people to give the tomatoes to... and she didn't use any other fertilizer...

Well that was 30 years ago... Now Sun Rise doesn't give them to the public any more... I'll bet they're sold to fert companies... Since you're making your own soy milk... it's right there... and a nice by-product... and you can well try them out since you do grow so much stuff. Cheers, comradea

7. wolf

wolf Active Member

Soy meals make great fertilizers, but it should be composted or it will attract bugs of all kind. It is OK for tomatoes, but it is a very different story if you apply that to things like radish or sweet potatoes and even chives.

8. comradea

comradea Member

Hi, wolf, The only thing my friend grew then was tomatoes... 4 plants every year... and she didn't compost them before burying... so I guess it worked for tomatoes... but no idea about other vegetables... I would be suspicious, too... with stuff that are uncomposted and yummy to critters for root crops...

9. Durgan

I put the residue in a muffin pan compartments and cook for about an hour at 350 to dry and eat the biscuits with soup. There must be many nutrients in the residue, probably more than the milk.

10. comradea

comradea Member

Fair enough, Durgan !! Many nutrients either for your stomach or for the plants, which eventually end up in your stomach anyway... Bon Appetit !!